"failed to create custom IPSW" when I try go 2.0 with winpwn

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by felixen, Aug 4, 2008.

1. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have 1.1.5 on my ipod now. I have winpwn 2.0.0.3 and it's the first time I've ever installed winpwn so I know the problem isn't because I haven't uninstalled some stuff..

I have iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw on my computer and I know the file should work.
    So I open winpwn, hit browse ipsw, choose the 2.0 firmware and hit okay and save to whatever location I like.. When the load bar is almost at 100% I get the message "failed to create custom IPSW" though.. What should I do? I just want a jailbroken 2.0 ipod
  2. iHAX

iHAX Banned

Do a fresh 2.0 restore with itunes then try it if that doesnt work reinstall winpwn

EDIT: or try to get another 2.0 ipsw
  3. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Doing that now. So when I'm done with this I'll have 2.0 on my iPod, so should I follow the exact same procedure in winpwn even though it'll already have 2.0 on it?
  4. opsguy

opsguy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It is usually an issue with not enough memory resources. It uses a huge amount of memory while building the firmware. My PC used to give the same error and sometimes Winpwn would just close with no error at all.

Here is the fix I used:

On your PC open "Control Panel", go to "System", then choose the "Advanced" tab.
    On the Avanced tab under "Performance", press the "Settings" button.
    Now you are in the "Performance Options", choose the "Advanced" tab.
    Under "Virtual Memeory", look at the size of your Page File. Now click "Change".
    Choose "Custom Size" and set the "Initial size" to about 500MB higher than what it was originally. Press "Set", then press OK and OK again.

Now you should be able to build the firmware without receiving the error message.
  5. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks man, but it didnt seem to work. i just tried it, then tried with 1000mb instead of 500 and it still gives me the same message. Just to make sure, I have 2.0 on my ipod right now, just need it jailbroken.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Is there any other way to jailbreak than winpwn? And if so, will the outcome be just the same (just as stabile and such)?
    I tried the same thing on my dads computer now. this comp is much faster than mine but I still get the same damn error in winpwn.. I wonder if Im doing anything wrong, but I honestly dont see what I could do wrong
    -----
  6. pikkemanden

pikkemanden New Member

I need to know this too. I get the same error. I just restored to a fresh 2.0, and I have the newest version of winpwn
  7. opsguy

opsguy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Sorry it did not work for you as it did for me.

About the only other thing I can suggest is to close any other programs running in the background that you can and try again. I had to do that on my wife's PC to get it to work. She had a trial version of an Anti-virus program that was consuming a huge amount of the memory. We uninstalled it and after that Winpwn worked without errors.

Hope you find a solution.
  8. gdog75

gdog75 New Member

I had the same problem (the "failed to create custom IPSW" error) and struggled with it for a few days before finally getting it to work a couple of hours ago!

I suspected my problems might have to do with the fact that my copy of Windows was installed on a drive other than C: . On my computer, Windows is actually installed on F:

If you think you have this problem but aren't sure how to 'subst' a directory for C:\, let me know and I can try to help you out...
  9. thegameksk

thegameksk New Member

I think thats my problem. Can you please tell me what I need to do to get passed this? Thanks.
  10. gdog75

gdog75 New Member

1. From your Windows Start Menu, open up a "Run..." window.
    2. Type "cmd" in the "Open:" text box and click on the OK button.
    3. Type "subst C: W:\Temp", replacing the "W" with your Windows drive letter (i.e. the drive where Windows is installed on your machine. If you open up "My Computer" you should then see a C: drive in the list of drives, etc.

Hopefully that works. Best of luck...