Failbr3ak Shenanigans

Discussion in 'Front page news archive' started by News Bot, Feb 24, 2010.

1. News Bot

News Bot iFans.com News

2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

With the recent discovery of a new baseband hole by Sherif Hashim and with some iPod touch 3G and iPhone 3GS owers stuck on 3.1.3 without a jailbreak we’re now moving headlong into failbr3ak season. Remember the amusing but ultimately frustrating appul0ha1l failbr3ak scam made around the time of GeoHot’s blackra1n release? Well this time around the scams have got slightly more polished and a lot less amusing.

But don’t take my word for it, check out the immutably omnipresent iPhone Dev-Team’s recent blog post titled ‘Scam Season’:

Most recent of the failbr3aks is Gull1hack. Their website sports a nice GeoHot-esque interface and plenty of very recent posts and videos purporting to be evidence of their great new 3.1.3 3GS untethered jailbreak tool. They've been shown up to be fake by @musclenerd from the iPhone Dev-Team.

Next up is the Californian based team of juvenile failbreakers, SpartanBr3ak, who have tried to spam iPod touch Fans and have since pulled their jailbreak from release as they’ don’t appreciate the fake comments’ (lol). They’ve been shown up on forum and all references and discussions of their scam removed. I have permanently removed one member of their team from this site for the continuing tirade of verbal abuse they sent me over PM, which I now continue to receive over twitter.

It may be fun and games to the scammers but it just creates unnecessary noise and prompts some to upgrade in hope of a new 3.1.3 jailbreak and baseband unlock. These scammers aren’t community minded people and are only doing it for adolescent mischief or profit. Expect more scam failbr3ak attempts but don’t believe the hype.

Pro Tip: as with all new firmware releases don’t trust any claims of new jailbreaks or unlocks unless they have been supported and/or sanctioned by the iPhone Dev-Team. Don’t trust claims by unknown juvenile kids and definitely don’t donate to them so they can buy iPhones for ‘testing purposes’.

edit/ on a sideline I would indeed be very happy to be proven wrong and for another individual or group to create a new jailbreak. However, I would implore anyone that is working in this direction to publicise it properly or they WILL be thrown into the mix of failbreaks. That is to say, keep schtum until you release and then claim your glory, ask for donations only when you have a working tool and, most importantly of all, seek endorsement from the Dev Team.
  3. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Very interesting post Studangerous.
  4. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I considered posting links to the failbr3ak blogs so people can check them out for themselves but: i) I didn't want to provide them with additional traffic, especially as some of them may be using the scam for ad revenues and ii) they probably would receive a load more negative comments they'd just delete (as SB has done on their site and youtube vids).
  5. Miadhawk

Miadhawk Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Doesn't Gris happen with every firmware that isn't jailbroken in a while?
    Anyways, don't people do any research on this stuff, especially since they actually pay in some cases.
  6. captain_dl

captain_dl New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Being a noob to the IPT community, I really appreciate articles like this. I am pretty savvy on the tech sides of things and know not to run out and try things as soon as they show up, but it's nice to see a community of people out to help those that don't know as much. This also helps when I want to explain to my son that not all jailbreak claims are true.
  7. yohanns23

yohanns23 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    guys these jailbreaks sound real real real convincing.....

advice - " DONT TRUST THEM!!! "

The Only People You Should Be Trusting Is The Chronic Dev Team And Iphone Dev Team And Check Their Twitter Updates Guys!!

Google MuscleNerd Twitter, p0sixninja Twitter, You'll Find The Whole Team Their .....

observe that None Of Those Scam Guys EVER Posted The Coding Of The Jailbreak..They just Blabber That It Works..

Our Mod stuDangerous Has Also Posted About Spartanbr3ak
    They Even Released A Video.
    Go To Youtube And Type Spartanbr3ak And You'll Find A Video Titled "Why Spartanbr3ak Is Fake" And It Shows You Were The Video Is Cut.

Anyone Whose Reading This Stick With The iptF.com Mods Advice.....

(I Think We Need To Start A Scam Awareness Thread! )
  8. ihax_ipt

ihax_ipt Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch

You literally just restated the entire front page post in a different less informative way..?
  9. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    there* forth line, sorry but it bugs me
  10. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The persistent capitalisation gets me but, hey, this is the crazy interwebs

Don't worry, be happy