Factory Restore Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by juniperpansy, Sep 23, 2010.

1. juniperpansy

juniperpansy Member

I have the problem with my touch 4G that wifi kills the battery when in standby mode. I've tried many things to fix it, but nothing. So the last thing I would like to try is to restore the ipod touch to factory settings before calling Apple Support.

what I would like to do is
    1) restore the device to factory settings (everything deleted from the iPod)
    -AND- if the battery life is not fixed
    2) be able to sync up all of my old data/apps/game saves/music/notes from before the restore (at a later time)

My problem is 2). If I restore the ipod to factory settings, will all of the backed up data on itunes be destroyed? How do I make sure I don't lose this data?

Thanks
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

There's no use in restoring. In the iOS 4.0 update, Apple made it so that wifi would stay connected even when your device is locked, so that you can continue to receive push notifications and whatnot. The only thing you can do is turn off the wifi when you're not using it.
  3. juniperpansy

juniperpansy Member

4. MFdoom

MFdoom New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The answer to 2) is no, the backed up data on itunes will NOT be destroyed it is a saved file, after you restore your ipod you will have the choice to backup the data from your ipod's synced files.
    but you will have to put your music back on there manually.
  5. juniperpansy

juniperpansy Member

Thanks MFdoom

So just to comfirm will these steps work?
    1) factory restore ipod touch
    then if battery is not fixed:
    2) factory restore ipod touch again
    3) Select the 'restore' option from itunes to recover all the data lost in step 1
  6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

In regards to that poll, I just don't think it's very clear. I mean, I selected 'No it doesn't' and then I realized that I don't keep my wifi on while my device is locked, so it's untrue. And I think that's what most people have done. If a person just looks at the poll options, they see that one option is 'Yes it goes down 30%' and some people may just go in and choose 'No it doesn't' without reading the question.

But you know what? Restore your iPod, backup all your stuff and whatever. But I'm just telling you that leaving your wifi on will ALWAYS drain your battery so you're just wasting time. But, go ahead.
  7. mush

mush Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    this is a weird problem, i leave wifi on ALL the time on my phone and it doesent drain much battery at all (i have it set so its on even if the screen is off)

i just got my ipod touch 4 so i dunno if its a problem on mine yet
  8. MFdoom

MFdoom New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    sorry it took me so long to reply, but don't restore manually from your ipod. Restore FROM itunes! after you finish restoring, there will be an option to either name your ipod, or create from back up, select whatever your ipods name was.
  9. juniperpansy

juniperpansy Member

thanks mfdoom. i will give it a try

Please Register or Log in to view images