FaceTime is open

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shadowriver, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    To make this clear since i already see confusment about 10 million devices.

FaceTime specifications are open (see keynote as you don't believe) and can be used by other phones, other applications that can use telephony calls (i mean GSM networks ;]). So i's possible that Android and WM will also support it

I still i can't find page that will have specifications, probably Apple Development pages
  2. ./^\.ACE./^\.

./^\.ACE./^\. Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Why would Apple give a selling point of the iPhone 4 to another phone, it just doesn't sound like something Apple would do.
  3. tanktan38

tanktan38 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I think its to make Facetime more popular. I mean, if only iPhone 4 supported it, it would be hard because everyone would have to have an iPhone 4.
  4. Shadowriver

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thats exactly a point ;] For sure there will be other candidates for video calling standards and if FaceTime will be closed it will be killed automatically by then, it's openness there higher chance of survival. It's same with Google Wave, it simply would fail in matter of time if not openness

Keep in mind that current iPhone shere it's just 1/4 and not everyone will get iPhone 4, FaceTime would be no marketing success if you could only call such small shere of people
  5. ./^\.ACE./^\.

./^\.ACE./^\. Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    What makes Apples standard any better then the other ones? What if non of the other companies want to use it because of the hassels of working with apple software on things not made be apple? then what? Would Apple open up to the other standards? most likely not then you are bact to only using Face Time between iPhone 4 users...
  6. Shadowriver

Device:
    iPod touch
    With openness there 2 possibilities

Adaptation - Other phones will use it as general standard or they will team up with other corporation to do something on FaceTime specification later.

Transportation - If other standard will dominate there possibility of transportation from that standard to FaceTime network ;] work around

Google and Apple are main editors of HTML5 specifications, Apple keeps WebKit open and even Google use it as a core for Chrome (they only replaced JavaScript engine). So i don't see problem with cooperating with Apple ;]
  7. ./^\.ACE./^\.

./^\.ACE./^\. Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The Google and Apple teamwork is software on the same hardware with so many phone companies out there have software work on any of them would be hard since they all have there own systems. Also with Apple always bashing RIM and Android I don't see them adopting Face Time soon...
  8. Shadowriver

Device:
    iPod touch
    When you watch history of wars between software's big 3 Microsoft, Apple and Google you will see that sometimes they enemy sometimes they are friends, all depends on situation ^^ it's all about rivalry, they are mortal enemies but friends in same time, they will work together if they think they need to. You can see that especially in browser department, they all gives proposals to standards and discuss them together.

We still need to see how Microsoft and Google will react to proposal of FaceTime, we should have some image of future after few weeks of iP4 release
  9. Nomar1245

Nomar1245 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    I can't speak for RIM, but for Android this is were they can become a victim of their own creation.

Since it is so open, they may not implement it into the core applications of the system, but there isn't much stopping a developer from creating their own to run on Android. It would be a bit hypocritical of them if they didn't allow someone to do so.
  10. Shadowriver

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thats good point also

Please Register or Log in to view images