extremely slow wifi on 3.1.2

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jgraider, Nov 22, 2009.

1. jgraider

jgraider New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I updated to 3.1.2 on my ipod touch 2g, and since i updated my average wifi speed has gone from 2 to 3mb/sec to less than 500kb/sec. It takes forever to play even a 1 minute youtube video

I tried resetting the network settings and even a full restore, but nothing has worked

any suggestions?
  2. Skull121

Skull121 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    downgrade to 3.1 or 3.0. if it was fast before it should be fast now.
  3. jgraider

jgraider New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well, when 3.0 came out, I upgraded and my wifi was slow then too, so i downgraded back to 2.2.1 where i didnt have any problems

but i upgraded from 2.2.1 to 3.1.2 because more and more apps required it, and now my wifi is slow as hell
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    anyone???
  4. Scottyboy99

Scottyboy99 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have almost same problem. I can't be sure it was totally down to upgrading to 3.1.2 but I think it happened more or less same time. Basically off peak my wifi on the iPod touch is good and matches my laptop on speedtest.net app (6 m/bits per sec). But come evenings the drop off is severe, getting only 0.5 m/bits sec if I am lucky. Thing is the laptops do not suffer nearly as much only dropping to around 2 or 3 mbits sec in the evenings.

Now this never used to happen on my iPod touch, in the evening it still managed to deliver the same as the laptops but now it is terrible. This is also reflected in usage of other apps like itunes store, youtube app - everything in the evening crawls. It can't be down to congestion as the laptops still function quickly. I am on BT telecom, do BT really throttle iPod touch apps or something?

Thanks
  5. hydropunk

hydropunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I have the same problem. I have a 1st gen on 3.0 and a 3rd gen on 3.1.2. Speed test results are the same, but youtube takes forever to load, slingbox looks like trash, even just simply transferring files to and from the ipod is way slower on the 3rd gen with 3.1.2.

I copied some files off my 1st gen to my laptop. That took 8 mins. Then to copy those same files from my laptop to the touch took 28 minutes! What the hell?!?
  6. Tony_iTouch

Tony_iTouch New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Could it be possible that iPod touch wifi isn't good over DSL connections? I've noticed this. At home, I have cable and I get about 4mbps down and almost 1mbps up. At my office I get .08kbps...lol WTF!?
  7. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think this may be apple messing with how it goes about using the data transfer protocols, I think someone posted the story on here, that apple and AT&T had a sit down and showed them how to not "hog the network" and it seems it might some how be affecting the wifi too and it seems to have a time component as well, it may be throttling itself.