Extremely poor wireless performance

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ydoucare, Oct 25, 2007.

1. ydoucare

ydoucare New Member

I got my touch (8gb) yesterday, and i've noticed my wifi performance is terrible, both before jailbreak and after. At home, on my wireless AP (802.11g), pinging the touch i notice at least 10% packet loss, and latency all over the place. At work on our 802.11b AP I see about 60% loss.

If i let it go to sleep, when waking back up it's responsive for about 10 - 15 seconds, then takes a dive. Example:

Any ideas other than replacing? I'm going to cruise around and try to find some open AP's to test on later today just to be sure it is the iPod touch and not compatibility issues with the APs
  2. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Check for any 2.4GHz cordless phones and unplug them to see if you get better performance. Wireless signals tends to deteroritate quite a bit if there is something using the same frequency on similar channel or simply over-powering it.
  3. ydoucare

ydoucare New Member

It's not interference. There are no other wireless devices present, and i've tried all channels individually on both access points.

EDIT: I notice if i ping my AP from the touch via terminal, i get no loss, but latency is unstable. Browsing safari is pretty much impossible here at work though. On my home AP it's not near as bad.