EXTREMELY EASY WinPwn Tutorial for 2.0 FW

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by ipodgamez, Jul 28, 2008.

1. ipodgamez

ipodgamez Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    THIS IS FOR IPHONE 3G (NEW ONE), IPHONE 2G (OLD ONE), IPOD TOUCH (2.0 or 2.0.1) AND WINPWN VERSION 2.0.0.3 (and 2.0.0.4) AND ITUNES 7.7.x

FIRST YOU MUST RESTORE YOUR IPOD/IPHONE (USING ITUNES BUT DONT BOTHER SYNCING YOUR MUSIC/MOVIES BECAUSE YOU WILL RESTORE YOUR IPOD AGAIN) TO A CLEAN 2.0 FIRMWARE THEN CONTINUE BELOW (IF YOU HAVE AN IPOD YOU ARE GOING TO NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE FIRMWARE FROM A ******* SITE AND RESTORE FROM THAT FIRMWARE BEFORE CONTINUING BELOW)

1. Download the latest version of winpwn from here (*******************IF YOU HAD AN OLDER VERSION OF WINPWN INSTALLED YOU MUST UNINSTALL IT FIRST*******************)

2. Download the firmware corresponding to your device and save it to a location that you will remember. The iPhone Firmwares can be found just about anywhere online but the iPod Touch Firmware you must download through a ******* (which is faster anyway).
    The names of the firmwares are as follows
    2.0 FIRMWARES
    iPhone 3G- iPhone 1,2 (2.0 5A347)
    iPhone 2G- iPhone 1,1 (2.0 5A347)
    iPod Touch- iPod 1,1 (2.0 5A347)
    2.1 FIRMWARES
    iPhone 3G- iPhone1,2 (2.0.1 5B108)
    iPhone 2G- iPhone1,1 (2.0.1 5B108)
    iPod Touch- iPod1,1 (2.0.1 5B108)

3. (IF YOU ARE ON VISTA RIGHT CLICK WINPWN AND CLICK RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR) Open winpwn and click Browse .ipsw for the iPhone or iPod touch 2.0 software on your computer. Point it toward the iPhone or iPod touch software you downloaded above.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Once it Says Be Sure to connect an iPod/iPhone (one or the other depending on your device) make sure you connected that device and press ipsw Builder.

5. Once Your in The ipsw builder click Install Cydia and/or Installer 2.0 (NOT PICTURED BELOW) and if you have an ipod touch or an iphone thats not connected to AT&T click Youtube activation fix.
    AT&T customer

Non AT&T Customer or iPod Touch

(ALSO NOT PICTURED) If you want the partition to be larger (so you can have more apps) then just go to the partition resizer tab and move the slider to your liking (but you will then have less space for music movies etc.)

6. Once the appropriate boxes are checked click build ipsw. You will be prompted to give your new custom firmware a location on your hard drive and a name. Give it a name and a location you will remember. Now click save and wait patiently. Once it finishes it should look like this

7. Once it saves the custom firmware you should get a pop up that says it was successful so press ok to that and now go back to the original winpwn screen and click iPwner (pictured below) and locate the custom firmware you just created above and click open then wait a few seconds until you recieve another prompt telling you itunes has been pwned succesfully.

8. Connect Your iPod and Open iTunes

9. Now comes the hard step (if it doesnt work keeeeeeep trying it (it took me 5 times to get it right). You must put your iPod in DFU mode. so go get a stopwatch or a watch with a seconds hand and follow these directions to a T.
    1. ***TURN THE VOLUME ON YOUR COMPUTER UP***
    2. Hold Power Button and turn off device
    3. Wait 5 seconds
    4. Hold Power + Home Button For 10 seconds
    5. Let go of power button but keep pressing the home button for 10 seconds
    6. When you hear the magical sound in itunes that your device is connected then and only then are you OFFICIALLY in DFU mode. Also make sure Your iPod doesn't show ANYTHING on the screen after step 1. If it shows the connect to itunes sign you did it wrong so just try again till you get it right.

10. Itunes should be open and it should prompt you saying that "your ipod is in recovery mode and you need to restore" so say ok and Shift and click the restore button. Now you should be able to navigate to the custom firmware you saved in step 6. Once you chose it click open and let itunes do the rest. when its all done (it should take anywhere from 10-20 minutes) you should have app store and cydia on your iPod.

11. You are now able to use App Store as if you bought the new firmware and you are now able to use cydia as if you jailbroke your iPod.

PICTURES COURTESY OF LIFE HACKER FROM THIS POST

ERRORS AND THEIR FIXES

if you get an error that says The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135).
    1. Install This

if you get an error WHILE you create the custom firmware and before the itunes restore process then simply
    1. Reboot Your Computer
    2. uninstall winpwn and delete the folder it was in
    3. redownload winpwn and try again

if you get an error AFTER you create the custom firmware and during the itunes restore process then simply
    1. reboot your computer
    2. then restore with a fresh clean 2.0 while in recovery mode
    3. then put yourself into DFU using the steps mentioned in number 9 above
    4. then shift click and restore with custom ipsw you saved in step 7
    AND VOILA ITS FIXED

if you get an error in winpwn that says Unknown file: (The directory the firmware is in)
    this means the firmware you downloaded was not a clean or actual firmware PM me and ill give you the links

if you get the "failed to build custom ipsw file" try what it says in this post

if NONE of these work heres a GREAT post to fix most problems

if ALL else fails curse steve jobs and throw your device out the window

if you are just to lazy or cannot make a custom ipsw just PM me.
  2. skatedude0816

skatedude0816 New Member

Great tutorial(not that I needed it, xPwn was easy

). I'm sure this will help alot of people.
  3. ipodgamez

ipodgamez Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    thanks man the only reason why i did this was bc i was having trouble finding a decent tutorial and i like to help people especially when i know how they feel
  4. btr01

btr01 New Member

evey time i do this it says custom ipsw creation failed am i suposed to have my ipod connected to itunes the whole time

5. AngelSynth

AngelSynth Banned

sniff* sniff*

I smell a sticky
  6. sprigner

sprigner New Member

STICK THIS SH*T RITE NOW
    If I had this when the first thing was released I would of saved around 2days or trying <_<
  7. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    When I restore, how do I get back the apps I've bought without re-paying?

And I agree to sticky this. I haven't bothered jailbreaking again yet because I can't be bothered to look around for some half-arsed tutorial. Keep this one at the top!
  8. ipodgamez

ipodgamez Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Thank You to all of you guys. iTunes saves the applications you bought so you should be aable to judt resync your ipod after restoring to get them back
  9. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Great tutorial dude
  10. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, I thought so. Just checking so I don't lose £20 worth of apps