Extreme problem. Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Harry Paratestes, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Harry Paratestes

Harry Paratestes New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Extreme problem. Am I the only one? SOLVED

I have a problem I have not seen discussed with the same symptoms as my 32GB iPod touch is exhibiting. A little history. Started with 1.1.4, used Ziphone with no problems. Then when 2.0 was released I upgraded succesfully with Winpwn. I then had an issue with Media Monkey (I found out after 2 attempts to resync my library there is a known issue with 2.0 firmware) that forced me to restore. I forced my iPod into DFU and restored it with Winpwn and a fresh install of iTunes, put Boss's tool on to fix the space issue. All seemed well, but then I noticed that it appeared my sleep wake button was not functioning. I press it and it goes to the slider to power off. If I do choose to power off it only stays powered down for a few seconds and restarts. sometimes pushing the button does nothing at all. Sometimes upon restarting it gets stuck in a power on power off loop unless I hold the sleep button and select button for 2 power cycles. I then DFU'd downgraded back to 1.1.4 SAME ISSUE. I restored then tried iLiberty on 1.1.4, SAME ISSUE. I restored again, this time used winPwn with 2.0 firmware, SAME ISSUE. I Downgraded again back to factory 1.1.4 SAME ISSUE. I put it in DFU mode again and upgraded to a factory release of the 2.01 firmware, guess what... SAME ISSUE. So as a last ditch effort I install a custom 2.01 firmware that I found on a ******* file with the beta version of installer and ...You guessed it. SAME ISSUE. So now I have it restored to a factory fresh 2.01 and am awaiting a box from Apple so I can send it in under warranty.
    Anybody have any Ideas. I have scanned the internet and these threads for untold hours. I makes me kind of leary of winPwning my new one when I get it back from Apple.
    Thanks for listening to a noob whine.
  2. xcheetahx123

xcheetahx123 New Member

it sounds like this is more of a hardware malfunction than software. I think ur sleep wake button is getting jammed in.
  3. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I'm a bit confused on your issue, and I need to know a few things first, what is your problem and what kind of firmware do you want to install, and jailbroken or not and do you want cydia or installer. Even if you joined the forum to get help don't worry about it I'd love to help.
  4. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    why don't you just go to your local apple store and swap it out instead of waiting
  5. Harry Paratestes

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I would love to have 2.01 firmware with installer and cydia again, but like I stated above anything I do leads to the same problem. I myself was leaning more towards what xcheetax123 said as probably a hardware issue. As for my local Apple store, There is not one in my town or within a reasonable distance. Thanks to all who responded so quickly.
  6. whitka

whitka New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    did you drop it or anything because its probably a hardware issue not anything to do with malfunctioning software. My advice would be to leave it on charge for a few days and see if that can sort ut.it o
  7. Harry Paratestes

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Never been dropped, It was put in a leather hard case within 5 minutes of purchase and only taken out 1 time since I purchased it. I also forgot to say that sometimes the sleep button is "hypersensitive", sometimes just the slightest touch will activate one of the issues stated in my original post. It is also pretty much always fully charged. I have a sound dock that charges that I use at work all day, and I use it as my primary source of music in my vehicle, so it is pretty much always in a full state. I did let it run down 1 time to see if it would help by keeping it in its power off/on loop, it took about 14 hours to drain, but it did nothing to solve my situation.
  8. whitka

whitka New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yeh i definatley did that to my ipod touch. I had one of those devices that charges it all day and it buggers up the battery. To fix it, what i did was fully charge it and then let it run down and then fully charge it and fully run down.

Worked for me

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Harry Paratestes

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Problem was solved. After sending to Apple it was determined to be a hardware issue with the wake/sleep switch.