Extreme Difficulty w/ 2.0 Jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by EyesOfARaven, Aug 5, 2008.

1. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a complete nooblet.

I've been buggering about with winpwn all day. I downloaded several original firmware copies, including a premodified one - all failed. Here's the steps I took..

- Get original Firmware
    - Select in Winpwn
    - Build IPSW
    - Check the Cydia box
    - Select custom boot images (I tried with and without, and stayed within the guidelines anywho)
    - Hit the button
    - Error occurs because I don't have enough diskspace, asks me to choose another temp location, so I do.
    - Usually at this point it says invalid filename Disk://Custom-blahblah.ipsw, killing the process and restarting and reinstalling and whatnot eventually one of them worked, so I have a firmware image.
    - Goto DFU mode
    - Shift-click restore in iTunes and select firmware file
    - Watch it fail

I did most of these attempts this morning, and usually the button for iTunes pwning was involved, I just cant remember when in the process. I followed the guide anywho.

Anyway I've tried many firmware files and such and I have been getting various "Can't flash the iPod, unknown error (#)" errors between -56 and 6...

Edit: More precisely, the error is this

"The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1)."​

My custom firmware always gives a (1).

I've done this some 30 times now in various combinations, tonight I realized my iTunes was old so I updated it and tried yet again, same error.
  2. ipodgamez

ipodgamez Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Hey if your having trouble take alook at my thread ( the first link in my sig.)
  3. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

I now have a spinning wheel of death... first time having this.. 1604 error on trying to restore back to plain 1.1.5!

And I used that guide, I mentioned that..
  4. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Error 1 in iTunes means you did not put it in DFU mode correctly. Rather, it's in recovery mode and will not accept the unverified ipsw.
  5. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

It had nothing on the screen and still showed as needing recovery in iTunes.. is that not DFU?

I tried again and it still fails with (1).. It's definitely DFU mode from every Youtube video and instruction set I've seen and read.
  6. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

I made a 2.0 jailbreak tutorial for people with your problem. Check it out.
  7. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

Look guys, I told you that I'm not some nooblet to avoid exactly this sort of response. I followed some 20 tutorials hoping to find an alternative method, but I'm doing things by the book. I'm using the latest version of winpwner (2.0.0.3) on a iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw file, getting a Custom-iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw file, entering DFU, and shift-restoring the file to get a (1). One problem is with winpwner, which likes to crash, throwing lots of .NET-style error messages, but I've reinstalled it several times and it did manage to crank out the one file. iTunes makes some crappy errors, or I'd know what to correct.

Now, unless I'm somehow entering DFU mode incorrectly (but my blank screen and the little "DFU enabled device" popup seem to indicate otherwise) this should work.

The only possibility I can think is that the last time I tried I didn't just generate the file, so I couldn't do the iTunes pwn, and it threw the 16xx error. Earlier i got the (1) errors right after doing that (and the other steps) properly, but it was an older version of iTunes. Could the old version of iTunes (7.6 I believe it was) cause the (1) to be thrown? I'm gonna go fight with Winpwner to try to get another custom firmware file and try it from there.

Please no more "here's a tutorial" posts, as I've read them all and they're all the same - I've memorized the steps.
  8. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Make sure the custom firmware is ~220 MB. Any smaller than 200 and it's a faulty ipsw.
  9. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

It's 221MB. I've just rebooted and am giving it a try on a new slate..
  10. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    well good....