[EXTREME CAUTION] iPhone 2.0.1 upgrades the 3G's baseband. DON'T DO IT!

Discussion in 'Latest Tech News and Rumors' started by brisingr, Aug 6, 2008.

1. brisingr

brisingr New Member

For all iPhone 3G users out there, CAUTION! Apple breaks the tradition and takes an extreme measure: it upgrades the baseband so no unlock is possible (yet or maybe never). I repeat, don't update yet. THIS ISSUE APPLIES ONLY TO 3G USERS. ONLY. IT IS NOT REVERSIBLE!!!
    UPDATE: xPwn now supports 2.0.1 (it is now in beta)
    Source: iPhone-dev
    Original post:
  2. e.mann30

e.mann30 New Member

never say never ! Unlock the 3G phone is no big deal. Jailbreaking and unlock are 2 diffferent things I thought. You only unlock your phones baseband if you want to use different carriers. But you still can pwned " Jaillbreak" it and add installer/cydia for apps.

CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG. BUT DON'T WORRY.
  3. brisingr

brisingr New Member

oh don't worry they'll do it in a couple of months. maybe years. The baseband change is a blow. Even they (read the article) say
    . Unlocking IS BIG DEAL. Jailbreaking is also not available for 2.0.1.
  4. e.mann30

e.mann30 New Member

I know jailbreaking is not available yet. But I think that if you can "jailbreak" your ipod/iphone to get free apps , but you can't change your carrier for right now because they updated the baseband , no one is going to cry about that.

Maybe i'm missing something thats why I asked " correct me if I'm wrong" , but do you need to changed the baseband for it to be considered jailbroken ? Or can you jailbreak you ipod/iphone without changing the baseband and just have installer/cydia for apps ?

For me it doesn't matter because I want to keep AT&T because there service is better than T-Mobile , Sprint. Verizon has a pretty good service also.
  5. brisingr

brisingr New Member

2.0.1:
    -upgrades baseband: no unlock yet, irreversible.
    -bug fixes: no jailbreak yet, reversible by downgrading.
    If you want to keep to AT&T and non-jailbroken, then go for it. But what will it give you?
  6. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

2.0.1 IS jailbreakable. I already had this discussion in another thread. A user even posted a picture of a jailbroken iPhone on 2.0.1. The only thing not available is the UNLOCK which means you are bound to AT&T for now.
  7. Fehr

Fehr New Member

Unfortunately that applies only to iPhone3G's... I know that this thread is about 3G's... but I'm sad. :'[

Oh well... I don't really feel like updating anyway. Just bug fixes? Not worth it.
  8. brisingr

brisingr New Member

go to blog.iphone-dev.org
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    filler
  9. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I did that a long time ago. You need to go here:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=823878#post823878
    ------------------double post merged------------------

You're mis understanding what they wrote on the blog. They're saying if you're on 3G and you update to 2.0.1 now, you'll lose the jailbreak AT THE MOMENT. However, once you re-jailbreak when they update pwnage, it'll all be back. It doesn't mean you'll forever lose the ability to jailbreak your iPhone.
  10. iHAX

iHAX Banned

Good find, this should be stickied