Extra info from backups?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Number8, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Number8

Number8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Is it possible to extract information from iPhone backups? Such as contacts, because that's the only thing I want to restore. Is it possible? and don't say no it's too hard or something, just a simple yes or no and link would be appreciated, THANKS

Please Register or Log in to view images

EDIT: CAN A MOD CHANGE THE TITLE TO "EXTRACT" instead of Extra

EDIT 2: I Have windows Vista x64.
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

If you knew what data to delete you could delete the unwanted stuff from the backup itself.

My thoughts would be to do a backup of everything (if you want it) then delete everything on the phone except for the contacts and create a new backup from the phone. It may not be exactly what you want but it would then be a backup of just your contacts.
  3. Number8

Number8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well I was thinking that, but problem is, is that it's unjailbroken and I have some jailbroken things, so I'd have to downgrade, rejailbreak and then remove everything by redownloading the things I need from Cydia to remove and then do a backup, but at this point, it might be my only solution. Thanks for the input.
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I'm guessing there is a way to view the .MDDATA and .MDINFO that is in the backup files and you could delete stuff that was not contact info.

Another option may be to get another iPhone and use it to create a backup of just your contacts (restore it from a backup of your current iPhone then delete all the data minus contacts). Obviously that requires another iPhone though.

Just out of curiosity; why do you need a backup of just your contacts? If you restore an iPhone to it you will lose all the other info anyway (I think).
  5. Technostorm

Technostorm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
  6. Number8

Number8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I don't want all that other jailbroken "residue" to be restored or random settings I might have applied lol.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    What's the directory for the contacts?