External MIC and iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DWY, Jun 6, 2010.

1. DWY

DWY Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have a little external mic that I use with my laptop, plugs into mic port. I was wandering if the was a way (cable or app) that makes me able to use it with my iPod touch?
  2. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    it should work right away if you plug it in. Unless you had to install software on your laptop to have it work, in that case, I don't think it'll work.
  3. DWY

DWY Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It didnt work, plugged it in, went to native recording app, and meter didnt move so I hit the record button and it said there was no mic.
  4. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Probably not going to work than. Just go pick up some nice headphones with a built in mic. They're fairly cheap now days and if you're lucky even come with a remote. I'm not a big audiophile though, so the ones that I consider a bargain may be an ear-bleeder for someone else.

Alternatively you could buy one of those fancy mic additions for the iPod Touch off eBay, they've very cheap and get the job done. ebay: iPod Mic. Only downside to them is that you have to unplug it to get audio, unless someone found a way to get the internal speaker to turn on while something is plugged into the headphones jack.
  5. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ^^^ you'd think someone woulda came out with something like that but I guess not.
  6. pfrr

pfrr New Member

If you are using a standard PC mic ie like logitech or similar with a pink plug, check first if the plug has 3 sections (metal divided by 2 black plastic strips). This is normally the case to mimic a stereo audio plug and most of the times the channel will be shunt to input in mono. However the itouch will short circuit itself if you insert the pink plug all the way to the end.
    Leave the mic plug half the way in and you will see that the Itouch will recognise it immediatelly and will start recording. It is annoying but it works. If you want to go all the way in you will have to buy a stereo to mono plug converter ie a plug that has only 2 metal sections divided by a single plastic strip. That will do the trick and one plug like that costs... $2???