External Hard Drive Access?

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by Muffin15, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Muffin15

Muffin15 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    since the ipod/iphone cable is already a USB, how hard would it be to make an application that lets you access a connected hard drive, such as a pocket drive or such? obviously it would have to be one of the smaller ones that doesn't require a wall outlet for power, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to connect/access/store things to and from your ipod to a hard drive?
    a couple days ago, I pretty much reached my ipod hard drive's limit (16g) and am hoping apple comes out with a nice new model that has a gratuitous amount of space on it, such as the 60 and 80 gig ipod videos
    i think, if possible, this would be an awesome tool, for obvious reasons
    also, just as an afterthought, you could implement one of the already working finder applications, but mod it so that it will be able to search through the hard drive's files as well, and give you options such as transfer, delete, copy, and such
  2. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Pretty hard.
  3. mlbplayer456_is_back

mlbplayer456_is_back New Member

would it really? i think it could be done. someone could mod a flash drive and make a cable where you plug in the flash drive. usb to 30pin connector not 30pin to usb.
  4. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Maybe, but i believe the firmware would need modded to accept external harddrives. Or at least a dirver of some sort.
  5. Muffin15

Muffin15 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    well, how many countless of other things has teh firmware been screwed over into doing? i think it would defenitely be possible
    i guess it just depends who would be trying to make it
  6. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i think this would be useful! if a certin person have such time to think and create one...
  7. replicat0r

replicat0r New Member

its possible

i have a psp and i remember this was pretty big, but apparently someone modded the psp into accepting 30gig ipod thus psp would have a extra 30 gig storage

he hard+ soft modded
  8. Capt.Crunk

Capt.Crunk New Member

Host mode

You would need to hack the kernel or a kernel extension to activate host mode for the usb controller, this can be done but I don't know how difficult it is.
    Another cool thing that you could do then, is to attach any other usb accessory like external wifi adapter for sniffing//cracking wireless networks.
    Bottom line is: there's no way you can access external HD over the usb bus, without host mode.
  9. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    why do ppl keep bringing this up seriously you really wanna be carrying around an extra hard drive attached to your ipod?
  10. aa_man137

aa_man137 New Member

Think of the possibilites. It'd be like a wifi accessible hard drive, just like the touch is now with ssh but imagine having 500gb (my external hard drive) to work with. I think it would be a very useful mod.