External GPS

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by IceBerg, Jul 3, 2009.

1. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    First, I tried using the search for 'gps' and it returned 0 results for this forum. I find it highly improbable that 'gps' has not even been mentioned.

Anyway, are there any projects out that working with adding an external GPS to the Touch? Anyone have any info or links they could share with me please.

If not does anyone have info on programming the doc port.
  2. ipodsorocks2

ipodsorocks2 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  3. curtlow1979

curtlow1979 Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
  4. Mgssidley

Mgssidley Member

What is with people doing these things to iPod Touches? First making it look like an iPhone, now a GPS? What do you need help getting around your house? It wouldnt work then even because Its connecting through your router. Makes no sense at all.
  5. curtlow1979

curtlow1979 Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    why do you think gps needs wifi to work? my tomtom doesn't connect to the internet to tell me where i am. you can download a map to use offline with this gps device.
  6. Mircix

Mircix Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I wish I had an iphone 3G / 3Gs but it costs loads of money.. best solution is to buy a GPS
  7. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Iceberg,

I don't know why the forum Search would not turn up "gps". I know I have commented elsewhere in the forum.

Mgssidley,

I have seen comments, like: The iPod Touch is for music. What's your problem?

Now this comment.

The $299 iPod Touch 16 GB is a computer. It is also a PDA, with productivity applications and a eBook reader, reads PDF's and it has puzzles and games and lots of other stuff. It also plays music and video. It also runs VoIP telephone services.

Since iPod Touch 1G, an external GPS has been available.

I have just ordered an external GPS from Orange Gadgets ($75 versus $2,000, easy choice) and I expect to have it run xGPS and use it with Topo and Panoramascope. I want one, because it has a very strong GPS receiver.

I will give MotionX GPS a trial.

Tom Tom may get approved. If and when approved, I will have a look at it.

If web app designers for iPhone/Touch were aware, they would allow there "Locate" to use the GPS. They would also have a "cache" feature, to enable the iPhone/Touch owners to use their applications away from available cell/edge/WiFI services because these services are not everywhere.

However, GPS is practically everywhere.

I have heard trees and valleys or ravines may be a problem for many of the GPS devices. This is the reason why I want a GPS device that has a strong receiver.

I apologize if I sound peevish. It's just that the iPod Touch is so much more than an expensive toy.