External drive will not mount?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by jimbeam, Jun 3, 2009.

1. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have a 500GB external drive partitioned in two 250GB partitions. Connected via firewire to my mac mini. Its been working great for almost 2 years, until now.

It will not mount and will not show in disk utility. Ever now and then after a restart of the mini it will show, but, only one portion will mount. The other half refuses. The one that shows says "Format: unsupported" in disk utility on the rare occasion it mounts. So its useless. Disk utility will not let me do anything to the drive.

I have tried it on the mini with FW, Macbook with USB and Ubuntu. It only shows one partition (unsupported) after a lot of fuss, restarting the mini a few times.

Any ideas how to fix this, before I call it quits and buy a new drive?
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Do you have any other disk drives plugged in? I have an external that won't mount if my thumb drive is in my computer.
  3. jayjay960

jayjay960 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I don't know if this is the same command on osx, but it should work on linux at least. Do sudo fdisk -l and see if it appears. If it does you should be able to mount it manually with the command line.
  4. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    have you run Drive Genius or Disk Warrior yet?
  5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Nothing else plugged in.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I'll try that. Gave it to a friend to see what he can do with it. When I get it back, if he couldnt fix it, I'll try that.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Not yet. I was trying to avoid buying something I am only "hopefully" going to need once. But I probably shoud buy one, they look usefull.