Extended Warranty: Squaretrade

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by The Critic, Oct 12, 2008.

1. The Critic

The Critic New Member

I just ordered my 2G Touch 16GB last Friday from Amazon and I decided to buy an extended warranty as well.

I bought the three year service plan with ADH from Squaretrade. Cost was $38.49 after a 30% off coupon. The contract stated that it covered battery replacement. $0 deductible for mechanical failures, $50 deductible for accidental damage claims. I was told that they do not repair the unit, they only pay out the claim.

Since Apple charges $79 for a battery swap, I figured that the extended warranty would be a great deal. Even if they go belly up, I wouldn't be out too much money.

Do any of you have extended warranty coverage through Squaretrade? Has anyone tried to make a claim? Supposedly they get very good reviews, but I want to hear some first-hand experiences from this forum.
  2. glitchbit

glitchbit New Member

I have been buying electronics for a long while and have bought into the warranty crap myself in the past... do you know how many times I have actually used my extended warranties? Only 1 time out of countless warranties.... sorry but they won, I lost. I paid them more money betting against myself than what they paid back to me.

You'd be better off charging yourself an extra 13-14% of your products value than to pay some company or store that money. They are making money obviously or they would not be selling it to you, they know it makes you feel all better and safe and they are capitalizing on selling you an emotion that goes against all logical common sense.

My rules for buying electronics

1. Never buy it on credit
    2. Never buy their warranty
    3. Use common sense
    4. Don't buy at Best Buy
  3. frightenedcow

frightenedcow New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    when i bought my ipod through walmart i got an extended warrenty through wall mart.

did i mention wall mart?
  4. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Did I mention it's spelled "Wal Mart" not "Wall Mart"?
  5. Dytoonn

Dytoonn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Your last point: explain yourself: Why 'don't buy @ Best Buy'?
  6. biikman

biikman New Member

I bought mine at bestbuy

Please Register or Log in to view images

(only because the 30 day no restocking fee policy, unlike many other stores)
  7. jillsquared

jillsquared New Member

8. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

The only warranty i use is Apple.