Extended Preferences Help Please!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by orangepepper11, Jan 14, 2008.

1. orangepepper11

orangepepper11 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I'm sure many of you have seen these threads but I need some serious help.

I installed the Extended Preferences app onto my iPod touch disregarding the fact that it is only for iPhone users. Upon installation a disclaimer popped up talking about not deleting the Preferences.app folder. I had no idea what they were talking about so I just ignored it and continued on with the process. After it was all done I decided to check out what added preferences there were. It was pretty cool being able to disable the "On-the-Go" playlist that annoyed me so. After checking everything out I decided that I didn't want these tweaks anymore so i tried to uninstall it on the Installer.app. Out of nowhere the common error that everyone talks about popped up. I was worried so I checked out my settings and low and behold, my damn brightness knob completely dissapeared. I was no longer able to adjust the brightness on my ipod. Not only that but everytime I started up the settings and during its loading, an incredibly ugly blown up picture of the application logo pops up. I tried deleting the files in my Preferences.app folder and replacing them with the original files but still nothing. And the disclaimer said it backed up my previous Preferences folder so I checked and there was a "Preference" files but those files had no relation to the ones in Preference.app folder. I need help!!!

I need some serious help. Please someone give me an answer.
  2. orangepepper11

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Can somebody please reply? Gheez.
  3. wthoang

wthoang New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok u need to calm down...wat u need to do is either restore ure ipod or u need to do wat i did and that is to use the original prefs...install it...it should come up with just a grey screen with a status bar..then u need to put this source in m8an/installer.xml which has a killer extended prefs and install it...so just live with it and be patient..or just SEARCH for ure problem...its wat everyone does...people have this problem u say.
    "Out of nowhere the common error that everyone talks about popped up."
    yeh so where ever u found that...there should be a solution use it..

ps. my way is not a good way...figure out a better way...i just desperately wanted that extended prefs so i tried every possible way...that works...
  4. deveelx

deveelx New Member

The Preferences.app is somewhat a complicated folder. I'm talking about the Preferences.app before you install/upload anything in it. In other words, it's untouched. If you make a complete copy (backup) out of it to your hard-drive, that Preferences.app will have no effect if you out it back to your iPod. Even if it was the untouched Preferences.app. I discovered this today. You can only overwrite the files inside the original Preferences.app. Because once you used another Preferences.app whether it was a back-up from your hardrive or someone else's back-up, it won't work to your iPod.

If your settings doen't work no more, the only solution I can only suggest is to restore your iPod.
  5. badhairdude

badhairdude New Member

i went into my ipod (SSH) and it seems like something happened and the preferences.app got deleted. i just put my backup (had on my computer) onto the ipod, and redownloaded the extended preferences from blackwolf...

but i think the preferences from modmyiphone is messed up
  6. orangepepper11

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    *sigh* thanks guys. i screwed it up even more so i know i have to completely restore it... this sucks. goodbye cruel world! haha
  7. deveelx

deveelx New Member

If you want to install the extended settings again, I suggest you do it manually... only you know what you're doing. Also, try installing the extended settings first before you add your songs, movies, ans so on. Lastly, the first thing you need to install after jailbreak is the BSD Subsystem.
  8. Godamit

Godamit New Member

I had something similar, can anyone help me? I tried installing an update for the Extended Prefs, and gave me a message of a backup being made. But there was an error, so I went back to my home screen, no icons were showing, so I restarted my iPod. When I cam back to the home screen, my "Settings" app was gone. I checked in private/var/root/Library where Installer told me the backup would be made, I found "Preferences.app.bak" is this the backup?

Please reply
  9. Karma1000

Karma1000 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Same problem. Got an update to Extended Prefs from Modmyifone not knowing it was for iPhone only. Tried to update, messed it up. Settings went missing. Found Preferences.app.bak. Renamed that file. Got Settings back.
    Now I get an error when I uninstall original Extended Preferences and so cannot get rid of Extended Preferences Update.
  10. adtither

adtither New Member

Ok so this is how i solved it:
    First i moved the backup from /private/var/root/Library renamed it Preferences.app and moved it to /Applications, if there is already a preference.app, overwrite it.

Then i had to change the permissions of the folder to do this i downloaded Term-vt100 from the ipod installer (this can be found under the system directory). I then opened the app and typed:

chmod -R a+x /Applications/*

This changes all the folder's permission to /Applications/ to 755

This solved the problem for me, hope it helps u guyz!