Explanations Of The Different Types Of Jailbreaks

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Milesneptune, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Milesneptune

Milesneptune Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have seen people asking what userland and other types of jailbreaks are. I will tell you what they are and what they mean.

Userland Exploit: A userland jailbreak allows user level access but doesn't allow iboot level access. This exploit can be patched in a future firmware update.

iBoot Exploit: An iboot jailbreak allows user level access and iboot level access. This exploit can be patched in a future firmware update.

Bootrom Exploit: A bootrom jailbreak allows user level access and iboot level access. This exploit can't be patched in a future firmware update. This exploit requires Apple to update the bootrom (This is a hardware update) in the device to patch the jailbreak.

Now I will explain user level access and iboot level access.

User Level Access: This is when the user has root access and can do anything to the software but you can't change stuff in the boot process.

iBoot Level Access: This is when the user can change stuff in the boot process such as using openiboot and using boot logos.

Now I will explain what Tethered and Untethered Jailbreaks are.

Tethered Jailbreak: Tethered jailbreaks require you to plug your iDevice into the computer to start it up because the device needs some code from a program on the computer that will let it boot up. The reason it needs this code is because the device checks for unsigned software running and it will not let it boot up without the code from the computer.

Untethered Jailbreak: An untethered jailbreak doesn't require you to plug you iDevice into the computer to boot because the jailbreak patches the file that checks for unsigned software.

Semi-Tethered: A semi-tethered jailbreak allows you to start your iDevice without plugging it into your computer however you will not be able to use your jailbroken addons until you boot from your computer using a program such as redsn0w.

Here is a list of some Jailbreak Programs and what they do.

Redsn0w: This program uses all the current exploits and can be tethered, semi-tethered, or untethered. This program doesn't create custom IPSW, doesn't delete any data off of the device, and doesn't require a restore. Can be used for any firmware, on some old bootrom devices, depending on the firmware. For Windows and Mac.
    Made by the iPhone Dev Team.
    Link: http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:rs9

Blackra1n: This program uses bootrom exploits and is untethered for old bootrom devices and tethered for new bootrom devices. This program is a one click jailbreak and will boot tethered devices. This program doesn't delete any stuff off of the device. Can be used for any device on 3.1.1 or 3.1.2. For Windows and Mac.
    Made by George Hotz (geohot).
    Link: http://blackra1n.com/

Spirit: This program uses userland exploits and is untethered. This program doesn't delete any stuff off of the device. Can be used for any device on 3.1.2, 3.1.3, and 3.2. For Windows and Mac. Made by Comex and the GUI was done by chpwn.
    Link: http://spiritjb.com/

Pwnagetool: This program uses bootrom exploits and is untethered. This program creates custom IPSW, deletes all data off of the device, and requires a restore. This program will update users without updating the baseband. This program is only for jailbroken old bootrom devices on firmwares up to 3.1.2 and can jailbreak up to 4.0. Only for Mac.
    Made by the iPhone Dev Team.
    Link: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Sn0wbreeze: This program uses bootrom exploits and is untethered for old bootrom devices and tethered for new bootrom devices. This program creates custom IPSW, deletes all data off of the device, and requires a restore. This program will update users without updating the baseband. This program is for old and new bootrom devices on firmwares up to 3.1.2 and can jailbreak up to 4.0. Only for Windows
    Made by iH8sn0w.
    Link: http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/welcome.snow

Greenpois0n: Uses the bootrom exploit found be Geohot and jailbreaks 4.0 - 4.2.1
    Link: http://greenpois0n.com/

JailbreakMe.com JailbreakMe.com uses a PDF exploit found in Safari found by Comex and it is a userland exploit. It supports any of the NEWER iDevices. Doesn't work on iPod touch 2g/8gb 3g. Works on any firmware between 4.0 - 4.3.3 and works on iPad, iPad 2, iPod touch 4g, and iPhone 4.
    Link: http://www.jailbreakme.com/

I hope this helped you understand the different types of jailbreaks and what they do.
  2. iMikkie

iMikkie Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Well done - this has really helped me get to grips with the whole different types of jailbreaking. This will really help alot of people - I hope you make future guides and / or tutorials

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Milesneptune

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm glad I could help you.
  4. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for posting this. Should be a sticky, this will help loads of people.
  5. xTouch

xTouch New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks, I needed this.
  6. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Great guide. One thing, however. Under "user level access" it says it grants the user root access, etc, but you can change things in iBoot level. You can't do that with userland.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Cookiemonsta

Cookiemonsta New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for clearing things up.
  8. Milesneptune

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I know you can change boot stuff in boot and in user it gives you root access.
  9. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Great guide! You should add some examples of what are userland/boot rom exploits; Eg. Spirit is a userland jailbreak and can be patched with future updates (such as 4.0).
  10. ikid

ikid Member

great. helps me understand jb alot more