Explanation of the 3.0 jailbreak for a newbie

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0 Jailbreak' started by theiflord180, Jun 20, 2009.

1. theiflord180

theiflord180 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey guys

ok so i'm a total noob when it comes to jailbreaking, and the tutorial on this website makes it seem rly easy. So i just stick the firmware file onto the redsnow file? and then its jailbroken w/ cydia and stuff?

also, so i need to jailbreak the firmware, and then put that firmware onto the ipod? Do i do that by restoring the ipod touch?

and people are saying the there all a lot of bugs, so should i wait for an update or something?

thanks
  2. Kayzo

Kayzo Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    You just gotta find your firmware, and basically let redsn0w do its thing. Once your iPod's finishing downloading the jailbreak data and such, you're done! DO NOT close redsn0w until your iPod's at its lockscreen.
  3. davies-09

davies-09 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well, you dont need to restore once you have ran redsn0w, and yes it really is as simple as it says, just run the program and follow the on screen instructions.
    Personally the bugs havent affected me that much so i would just go ahead and jailbreak.
  4. jstod66

jstod66 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hey. Its more simple than u think. just find your .ipsw file, if u havent already, and drag it onto your redsnow.exe
    before you do this though, plug your ipod into your computer, turn it off, and then put it into DFU mode (hold home and power for 10 secs then just home for 10 secs)
    after you have dragged your file into redsnow, the rest is done for you, and you can watch the progress in the black box.
    Just ask if u have any more questions

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. theiflord180

theiflord180 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Haha, ok I have more questions
    when I go into DFU mode, will I lose all the progress I have got and games and stuff? Cause that would suck....
    Also, how do I know if I got into DFU mode?
    Laaasstt I read alot about apps names getting switched, and people messing up and stuff.. How di they mess up? Lol, and how likely is the app thing?
  6. whcodered

whcodered Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The new redsn0w guides you through the process of going to DFU mode. All you need is to have the official 3.0 firmware installed, and know where the official 3.0 ipsw is.
  7. theiflord180

theiflord180 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    oh so once I drag the ipsw file onto the redsnow program, it'll tell me what to?
    And what about the game data part? Does iTunes save ur progress?
  8. Forever2468

Forever2468 New Member

I press the redsnow finish button before i get to my lockscreen
    does this present a problem for me?
  9. whcodered

whcodered Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah redsn0w guides you through it. It's very easy.
    I'm not sure on the save data. If you backup your iPod on iTunes before you upgrade and then restore it after, it should save it. I'm not 100% on this though- someone else please chime in and correct me if necessary.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Nope. Once redsn0w says it has finished and the Done button is clickable, you can click it. The iPod has everything it needs from redsn0w and will finish on its own. If you have Cydia after using it, it completed successfully.
  10. theiflord180

theiflord180 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    haha, ok cool
    did the 7.2 update fix any major bugs? and how come some people get affected a lot by the bugs and others not so much?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    OK, i JAILBROKE MY IPOD
    lost no data or anything (like my ipod wasnt wiped, and i have cydia! thanks guys, ill post if i have probelms)