[Explaination] Changing MAC Address permanently for every iPod Touch&iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sdata, May 11, 2010.

1. sdata

sdata New Member

Hi,
    I noticed that lots of people are trying to change their iPod's and iPhone's MAC addresses and new models are not allowing spoofing MAC addresses through ifconfig and nvram method, by itself, doesn't let you use media features.

I came up with a solution, which probably most of you didn't notice.

Follow the steps to change your MAC address permanently (it stays same after reboot and you can keep using the media features):

1- Jailbreak your device in order to use a terminal emulator.
    2- Download a terminal emulator.
    3- Launch it and type "su". This will give you root previleges.
    4- It will want you to enter the root password. Predefined password is "alpine".
    5- Type "whoami" to check whether if you have root previleges.
    6- Type "nvram wifiaddr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX". X'es are the MAC address you want to imitate.
    7- Reboot your device. You will notice that your MAC address has been changed to the one you entered but unfortunately you can't access to your music library.
    8- Now, you should download the latest firmware from [REMOVED]] and load it into your device by holding SHIFT and clicking restore. After the restoration is complete, you can jailbreak if you want.
    9- You have a device with the MAC address you want and you can use the media features without a problem.

Good luck.
  2. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    uh...your link is not allowed...
  3. sdata

sdata New Member

Edited.
  4. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yeah it is allowed
    Because it contains links that come-straight from apple servers

It has been verified, that is why you dont receive the message: "This link is pending review. It has not yet been verified to be in accordance with our official rules or off-site linking policies."
  5. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Think whatever you want, but that link IS NOT allowed here and IS illegal. Yes, the download comes straight from Apples servers. However, it also offers the download links of firmwares 3.0 and above which is illegal, since you must pay to receive those versions on the iPod Touch.
  6. KRiPod

KRiPod New Member

How to reset NVRAM?

Thanks for your explanation about changing my MAC address using nvram method.

and unfortunately... I have to ask you guys how to reset nvram or how to reset wifiaddr.

there are some reason to do this and I wonder whether I can re-verginate(?) by using 'nvram wifiaddr="(original mac)"' or 'nvram wifiaddr=""(blank)'.

now if I input "nvram -p", string of wifiaddr printed. but I want it not to be...

any resolution??
    thank you in advance and beg you for my poor english.
  7. sdata

sdata New Member

Hi,
    You can connect your iPod to your PC and reset your nvram variables by using iRecovery.
  8. speedy295

speedy295 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Help!

Please help me. I did what you said to Change my MAC address. But I forgot to write down what the original one was. I NEED to get it back. Is there anyway to do this? I dont understand how to use iRecovery to do this. That program just gets your iPod out of recovery mode. Please help. Thanks.