Exlamation mark next to song

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by 8gb>32gb, Jul 8, 2009.

1. 8gb>32gb

8gb>32gb New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I just tried syncing to a new computer because I can't use itunes on the old one. I had about 220 songs on my 8gb touch before I synced and during syncing I had troubles with authorization and such. But I fixed that but when I finished only 100 of the songs came through out of the 600 that were in this itunes library. Some songs that were on my ipod before I synced didn't even make it.

So how do I get back the 500 songs that have the exlamation mark back? I don't know where their original files are..
  2. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

The ! means iTunes can't find your songs. Did you put them in iTunes and then delete them?
  3. 8gb>32gb

8gb>32gb New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah that is what I thought they meant. Most of them have been there for ages and I can't remember how I got them. And I can't remember deleting a song ever...
  4. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    First, go to iTunes, go to Edit > Preferences. Go to the advanced tab, and tick "Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized" & "Copy files to iTunes Music Library when Adding to Library"

Then, go to File > Add folder to library, and choose the whole hard drive that has the music on it. This will automatically find and re-add all the music on your Computer, and organize it so that it shouldn't happen again.
  5. 8gb>32gb

8gb>32gb New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well honsetly I can't remember where any of the music is. Is there any way to find that out? Do I just search a song and see where it is?
  6. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    How many hard drive have you got? Because if it is only one, do what I said above, and it will find it for you, so that you don't have to - Go to File > Add folder to library, and choose the whole hard drive that has the music on it.

You could search for one song, right-click and click "Open File Location" to find your songs, but it might take longer to add them that way.
  7. 8gb>32gb

8gb>32gb New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have the 1. I started it and it looks like it will take yonks..
  8. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

At least you'll get your music back
  9. 8gb>32gb

8gb>32gb New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I decided to go through everything I could find and I found what I think is 95% of the songs. I know it is not all but it is most. woop woop
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Is there any way to delete in bulk off the itunes library?