EXCLUSIVE: Sony Ericsson PlayStation Phone is here.

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by qaiz, Aug 11, 2010.

1. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)

Please Register or Log in to view images

Gaming on the Android platform is no different then gaming on the App store, just a few Apps, well to gamers its pretty underwhelming. That is all about to change, big time.

It seems like Sony Ericsson are going to release a new phone and redefine gaming on Google's Android gaming platform. A trusted Source has stated that Sony is actively and heavily developing a brand new gaming Platform, ecosystem and device which are now heading late stages in planning.

This is what I can tell you about the Hardware., and it will surly entice any gaming fan.The device is described as a cross between the new Samsung Captivate, from the Samsung Galaxy S line, and the PSPGo. In other words, it is a landscape slider with gaming controls instead of the usual QWERTY keyboard. It has a D-Pad as-well as a touch-pad to use in place of a analog stick. I presume its a bit like a trackpad. It will also have the standard PSP buttons and shoulder buttons. The phone will have a large touch screen, being described as 3.7 and 4.1 inches with WVGA or above resolution, a 5 Mega-Pixel camera as-well as a 1GHz Snapdragon Processor on board.

The phone will probably come in Black with a tint of Silver trimmings.It is apparently being branded as a Xperia device, but will carry the PlayStation Brand. People who have seen the device have said it looks "Pretty damn sexy"

As for software, the device looks as if it will be running Gingerbread (Android 3.0) with a Sony Skin on top and will use a new area on the android market made specifically for the device. The games will only be available on this device, but might work on future phones if they have the recommended specs and Buttons. The games are said to be in the graphical range of the PS1 and PSP, meaning android will get true 3D gaming. Games being shown on the device right now seem to be older games including God Of War, Modern Warfare and Little Big Planet with future plans for augmented reality.

As for the device, it is possible that the phone and ecosystem will be introduced as early as October this year. This is yet to be confirmed.

Nothing yet is known about the partnership, Price and release date, but this hopefully will be revealed. Also may I add this is NOT a random usual rumor. This is and should be real and coming to the market any time soon. This will allow Google to push it's gaming dream forward while allowing Sony to bring the PlayStation Phone the fans have been longing for.

Stay tuned and watch out for this space.
  2. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    They will fail against the AppStore, as all the other "Application Stores" on other devices did.
  3. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If Sony can get some good games on their store, then it won't do too bad.
  4. m0in

m0in Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    True
    I think it will do great
  5. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    It wont really fail, just think of it as 'PlayStation Network' on a phone. Digital distribution gaming. Games like God Of War will practically sell the device, not the other way around in these circumstances.

Couple that with the PlayStation Mini games and more of them, great graphics and a trusted company like Sony and it could go very well.
  6. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch

i really hope thats what it looks like
  7. mitchell209

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Those look really bad, IMO.

I don't know many people who would want a gaming phone though...
  8. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)

Since phones have changed a lot and a dominated by a touch screen, it might be something like this. Poor mock up I'm sure, Done By Engadget, but you get the idea. Powerful phone + PSPGo keypad.

I'm guessing it has some totally awesome looks tho, something unique like this concept phone by Sony recently

Think of it as a Gaming Device with phone capabilities then your set

The old Switcheroo
  9. rrroach

rrroach Well-Known Member

Wait there's Modern Warfare for PSP?!
  10. mitchell209

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Gaming would rape the battery... That's not good for a phone.