Exchange rebate 8gb Touch for 32gb?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hpyoup, Sep 21, 2010.

1. hpyoup

hpyoup New Member

Hello all!

Hope this question isn't too complicated. I just got my first Apple product a couple of weeks ago, in the form of a Macbook Pro. I took advantage of the back to school deal and got myself a free 8gb iPod touch.

This was a mistake. I should have paid the extra $100 to upgrade to a 32gb, for the space and going from 2nd to 3rd generation (though does that really change much?) This is also frustrating, because the day after I placed my order, Apple came out with the 4th gen, with the camera and all.

What I would like to do is exchange my 8gb 2g Touch for a 32gb 4g; I'd be willing to pay the difference. However, the rebate ($200) hasn't come through yet, and it looks like they don't even sell the old 8gb; the 4g 8gb is $229.

So...does anyone know if I can send my unopened iPod back to Apple, pay $100, and get a new 32gb 4g Touch sent to me? If not, is there anywhere I can sell my iPod for near $200 and just buy a 32gb myself?
  2. mkm159

mkm159 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    no you cannot send it back to apple and pay the difference because they made this deal so they can get rid of their old stock and make room for the new.

you can, however, leave it unopened and say its a new unopened ipod and try and sell it on ebay or craigslist or amazon.
    idk if you will get 200, but it is worth a shot.
  3. hpyoup

hpyoup New Member

I imagined that's why they did this deal, but do you know what Apple's policy would be regarding this issue if, say, I ordered an 8gb 4g, then realized I wanted more space, and wanted to exchange it for a 32gb 4g? Especially since I'm a brand new customer?
  4. mkm159

mkm159 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    you can exchange products yes, but only if they are unopened, or else you pay something like 23 bucks for a restocking fee.
    but that is not the case here...
  5. Dragon000

Dragon000 New Member

the deal with the free ipod touch was only for 3rd gen ipod touch, so you will never get a 4th gen from this deal
  6. hpyoup

hpyoup New Member

Miera: So, I CAN exchange products if they are unopened? Because mine is unopened. So I don't understand what makes that "not the case here".

Dragon000: I understand that the deal, initially, could not have included a 4g, especially since Apple hadn't released the 4g when the deal started. However, there HAS to be some preexisting policy Apple has regarding this issue. I can't imagine they would have longstanding policies regarding returns and exchanges, only to say "but none of them apply to a tenuous, unknown period while we try to get rid of old stock."

Again, what makes my case different than the case of ordering a 8gb 4g, sending it unopened back to Apple, and receiving a 32gb 4g after paying the difference? The fact that a rebate is involved might be a sticking point. Beyond this, I don't see what the problem is. It's still a device that Apple valued at $200; it must be worth something to them, especially unopened.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Has anyone even heard of this happening? Anyone well-versed in the intricacies of Apple's return policies??