exchange a iphone without a contract with AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pietka, Dec 22, 2008.

1. pietka

pietka New Member

A few months ago, on a trip to USA, I had purchased a 2g 16GB iPhone.
    Since I live in South America, I have not contract with AT&T, so I jailbreak it.

The iPhone show some hardware issues. A friend of mine goes to NY next week, and I am thinking ask him to take the iPhone to the Apple Store.

I want to know if someone has already exchanged a phone without a contract with AT&T (after doing a restore), and how.

Someone suggested to buy an AT&T prepaid card, but I need more details.

Many thanks in advance
  2. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    both AT&T and Apple no longer carry the old iPhone. So im not sure you could even get a new one.
  3. pietka

pietka New Member

But is supposed that the iPhone is still under warranty (five months from purchase)
  4. lild7hina

lild7hina Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    you can't exchange one... i think.. because in order to activate the warranty you have to activate the iphone legit and they also check your number and at&t info when you go to at&t store to try and switch.. but you can go try at least
  5. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    If you take it to an apple store then YES you will be able to exchange. It will most likely be a refurbished though.

What kind of hardware problems are you having. As long as its a noticeable hardware defect that didn't happen by you then they have to replace it considering it has the one year warranty just like any other apple product.

You might want to call a apple store and confirm your problems and if they will give you one.
  6. pietka

pietka New Member

Thanks for your response.

The problem:

1. I can't turn it off. When I hold down the power button, the slide to power off screen comes up. I slides it and the loading wheel displays. Then it goes away and the phone goes back to being turned on.

2. Sometimes when the phone's in sleep mode, the screen will turn on for no reason.

Any ideas about AT&T prepaid card?
  7. keyboarder

keyboarder Banned

maby a prepaid sim would work.
  8. coop777

coop777 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Pietka - how did you purchase an iphone from AT&T without having to buy a contract?
  9. pietka

pietka New Member

Hi coop777,

I had purchased at Apple Store, not AT&T, and they give me instructions in how to activate with iTunes. (Remember that is a g2 version, not g3)

As I said before, since I don't live in USA I does not do that
  10. coop777

coop777 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm surprised you were able to purchase a non 2G phone from the Apple store - was it a refurb? Jailbreaking technically voids the warentee - if they can exchange it for you you will want to flash it to stock firmware before doing so.