*Excellent case* Macally Metro for iPod Touch 2g

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dapigu8, Sep 27, 2008.

1. dapigu8

dapigu8 New Member

Hey all,

I just got my hands on a Macally Metro case for the iPod Touch 2g.

http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=250

It is excellent. Let me note beforehand that I was not looking for a case that comprehensively protected every nook and cranny of my iPod, but rather one that would "liberate" me from it's absolutely ridiculous tendency to get scratched (and by ridiculous I mean riiidiculous; a week of keeping it in a sunglass pouch and placing it only on my pillow has still produced a number of stratches - albeit small ones). I wanted to be able to put the thing on a table. You guys know what I'm talking about.

At the same time, I wanted a case that did not sacrifice the iPod's slim form factor, aesthetic appeal, and quality feel. There is no point buying a beautiful device if you have to spend $30 to cover it up in this plastic abomination.

Anyway, the Macally Metro excels at this endeavor. It's extremely thin (at 1mm), with an unobtrusive, clean ridged design. It's made of a matt black rubberized plastic (the entire case, not just a cheap plastic shell with a rubber-ish outer texture... as a result, it's modestly elastic). The quality control is superb; there are no mold lines, no manufacturing slips, and it fits the iPod like a glove. No movement whatsoever. Perfect fit. You simply insert the iPod (volume button side first), push, and it snaps on. You will likely not be able to place the device in a dock with the case on. I don't own one, and am unwilling to pay for one, so this doesn't concern me.

It is an excellent addition to the iPod; not only does it provide absent-beforehand friction when using the device, it hardly intrudes on the device's coveted thinness, and feels great in the hand. It also looks great. The matt black matches the volume and hold buttons (which, as you may infer from the link, are left exposed), and the case itself covers the entirety of the iPod's back - hiding the odd wifi 'bubble' and establishing a clean aesthetic consistency.

As mentioned before hand, the buttons are left exposed, as well as the audio jack (duh) and dock connector. The entire front face is untouched, as well. It does come with a screen cover from some Japanese manufacturer, but I've left it in the box because of the glass screen's resistance to damage, and the fact that I do not like to "unpurify" the original device - I want to touch the glass. Some of the chrome bezel is also left exposed, allowing the iPod to retain its "luxurious" look.

If you simply want to be able to put the iPod on a table or in your pocket without mutilating it, while maintaining it's coveted form factor, aesthetic appeal (or arguably enhance it), and build quality, this case will excel to the greatest degree. If you want to completely shield your new baby, I recommend you look elsewhere.

For $20, this case is rather expensive (for a piece of plastic - though a very nice piece of plastic), but comparatively less expensive than the $30 competition... and it is $20 well worth spending.
  2. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

looks nice
  3. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    wait so it's plastic? as in not silicone

'cos i had an ifrogz case for my old ipod and it was great but i couldn't get the freakin' thing out of my pocket
  4. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Looks nice, but no screen coverage? and what's with the macally on the back, that just destroys the entire look of it.
  5. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    ^it comes with a screen protector

but that guy didn't use it 'cos he thinks the screen's fine as it is
  6. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    That choice will be soon regretted...
  7. dapigu8

dapigu8 New Member

Sorry I'm new to this... not sure how to quote multiple people on a single post.

@ Crypt
    Yup it's a rubberized plastic (imagine a harder rubber with less friction). I'm really fond of it. Pocket friendly

Please Register or Log in to view images

@ 48days
    The Macally logo isn't bad at all; it is multi-depth, and protrudes much less than the ridges. Also, the case is actually a much deeper, less reflecting black than the image on the Macally website.

You can run keys over the screen without any damage, and I've owned a 1g Touch since the first day it came out (like this one) without ever putting a screen cover on it. Still perfect

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. saikyo

saikyo New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This looks interesting. I'm still caseless, waiting for a place in my area to get the iClear in stock... Maybe I should just bite the bullet and go with this one.
  9. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sigh. This is the exact case I researched and tried purchasing on eBay, only to find that he hadn't checked his stock of the item before posting, and couldn't get any in until October 15th. :\

So I'm intense jealous you have this case.
  10. dapigu8

dapigu8 New Member

I got it from this guy http://stores.ebay.com/nakedcellphone ... hope it helps!