Everything (Old)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by spoonforknife, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

E v e r y t h i n g

This is a guide for everything. I hope you will read it, because I certainly did. I've spent a long time doing this, compiling all of my guides and compiling everybody else's guides. If you see something missing, tell me, and I'll add it, or fix it.

~~The iPod touch~~

There's a good chance that if you're reading this right now, you have an iPod touch. But if you don't, this section is for you. If you do, I advise you skip down to the Jailbreak section immediately.

WHAT?

The iPod touch is a media player made by Apple, Inc. It has a 3.5 inch screen that you can touch. It will also respond to your touch, unlike the screen of my MacBook, which I can also touch.

WHY?

You should get the iPod touch if you have videos and you're willing to buy something that costs anywhere from $299 US to $499 US. You should buy the iPod touch if you want to have a really cool device that you can theme and install cool applications on. You should get it because you want an iPhone, but you use Alltell wireless, and you really want that iPhone.

YEAH

Okay, so you say, I'll go buy it.
    But what if you're not convinced yet?
    See Kiks52's iPod touch Reference for more specifics and of course Apple themselves.

I'll wait for you to buy it.
    [Jeopardy Music]

*Okay, I'm finished waiting.*

~~Jailbreak~~

Once you have bought your iPod touch, you're probably wondering what you can do to it, but chances are, you already have an iPod touch and you're looking into what it can do. What you want is a jailbreak.

WHY?

Why you should jailbreak?
    You should jailbreak because there is almost no risk to jailbreaking. While you may think that there could be problems like breaking your iPod, you should think again. The only ways you can break your iPod are simply if you are really, really stupid, or you're trying to actually break it. Here are the difficult ways to break your iPod.
    • Enter this command in Terminal on your iPod: "sudo rm -rf /". It will kill your iPod, guaranteed.
    • Unplug your iPod while restoring the firmware in iTunes. Note that it says, "Do not unplug your iPod!" Unplugging your iPod will literally remove the firmware from it.
    • Physical Mutilation. If you physically kill the iPod, it is irrelevant if the hardware works. Try smashing your microwave with a sledge hammer (or rather, don't.) What happens? It breaks. Same concept.
    • Unplugging your iPod while modifying the bootloader. When using a method like Pwnage Tool or winpwn to jailbreak your iPod or iPhone, and you unplug your iPod, it could become dead. This is because the bootloader is the software that allows the iPod to turn on, or boot. If you remove it, you can't turn it on. It's like removing the batteries from a toy. Same concept.
    • Other than that, it's really hard to kill your iPod. If I haven't scared you off yet, keep reading to find out what you can do and how.

Plus, jailbreaking gives you cool new applications that you can use on your iPhone, awesome themes and wallpapers, and games! For a larger list on why you should jailbreak, see Anonymouslyanonymous' Bible below.

WHY NOT?

There are some things that people just don't want to do, and many times, that is hacking. Hacking is given a bad reputation because people think that it is only used to break things. This is not the case, but Anonymouslyanonymous has some reasons to not hack for you.

For more details on Firmware 2.0 and the SDK, you can see my Firmware 2.0 guide or my SDK guide. Remember the Firmware 2.0 Section and the SDK section are your best spots to go for help on those kinds of questions.

BACK ON TOPIC!

Jailbreaking your iPod touch voids your warranty. Apple's End User License Agreement (EULA) states that you cannot modify your iPod touch, and can't use iTunes for nuclear facilities, blah, blah, blah. Jailbreaking, or installing 3rd party applications, voids your warranty. You will be unable to use your warranty. That's pretty big. FORTUNATELY, you can restore your iPod, so they cannot trace your iPod being jailbroken, and your warranty is magically back! Huzzah!

Jailbreaking your iPod touch is debatably illegal. While most of us believe that jailbreaking is not illegal, there are a few people that believe it is, including Apple employees. To see their point of the matter, see this thread. Nevertheless, you'll see the thread was closed because Jailbreaking is not illegal. It's highly debatable, so you can decide for yourself.

It is possible to break your iPod. While this is unlikely, as stated above, it is indeed possible.

Some things that you can do with your iPod touch with a jailbreak are illegal. For example, if you don't have the January App Pack and download it for free off of Installer, that's illegal. Downloading ROMS and BIOS are illegal as well. You don't have to do these things, but keep in mind that some things are illegal.

If you are still debating, see chort27's guide here. Nevertheless, I highly recommend jailbreaking.

WHAT?

What things can you do with a Jailbreak?
    With a jailbreak, you can install 3rd party applications. These applications can be useful, like the Periodic Table application, or even as crazy and fun as Tap Tap Revolution (which is like Guitar Hero). There are well over 400 applications out there for you to easily install. You can even play Game Boy and Playstation games!

In addition, you can trick out your iPod with cool themes like Ultimate Leopard (toomuchcaffeine) and Badge (TheAppleTree). These themes can be really beautiful and elegant, and a good deal of them can be installed right off of your iPod - No Computer Required!

HUH?

==What Does This Thing Mean?==

Before you start in this Jailbreaking scene, you should probably know a little bit of the terminology that we use. For a dictionary, check the cool wiki article I created called, "The Noob Dictionary," here. You don't have to know all of those terms, but just keep "The Noob Dictionary as a reference material in case you forget what some of the terminology means.

==I Don't Get It!==

Shoot me or one of the other members on this forum a Private Message, and we (I at least) will try to respond to you within 24 hours. Read over the information more than once and you'll see that things are rather simple. Sometimes, things are as simple as downloading something and clicking Jailbreak. Make sure to read the instructions, and let's get cracking.

HOW?

These guides are how to jailbreak your iPod. They are the easiest methods available, so please do not ask for an easier way. These ways are as simple as clicking a few buttons, so it's really not too hard.

You must be on the specific firmware (i.e. 1.1.1) to jailbreak that firmware. For example, if you are on firmware 1.1.4, you cannot use the 1.1.1 jailbreak method. To check what firmware you have, go to the Settings application, then tap General and then About. If you have the incorrect firmware, download the correct one in the next post.
    2 people like this.
  2. spoonforknife

You're probably wondering right now, which firmware is the best? That's why I have thoughtfully provided the Firmware Comparison for you, located here. If you prefer to read it in Spanish, read it here, translated by iPod touch Fans users Wesche and ddgv.

After downloading the firmware, you'll likely need to downgrade it. To downgrade firmware, open iTunes, plug your iPod in, and navigate to your iPod's pane. You can get to this by clicking on your iPod's name in the sidebar.

On a PC, hold shift and click restore.

On a Mac, hold option and click restore.

Then, select your downloaded firmware, and your iPod will restore to that firmware. If you cannot get this to happen for one reason or another, you can use AutoDown or gojohnnyboi's Download Prep. Both are PC ONLY.

==1.1.1==

- Brief Summary: Use the AppSnapp Jailbreak.
    - Detailed method: On firmware version 1.1.1, on your iPod, go to http://jailbreakme.com. At the bottom, hit "Install AppSnapp". You have jailbroken 1.1.1! Note that if this method doesn't work the first time, you should just try again.
    - Video: If you need a video on how to jailbreak firmware 1.1.1, use ipodtouchmaster's video here.

==1.1.2==

- Brief Summary: Use the AppSnapp jailbreak, use oktoprep, and do the TouchFree Jailbreak.
    - Detailed method: Jailbreak 1.1.1 with the method above. Then, go to Installer and download the package "oktoprep." You don't need to add any sources but Community Sources, which will already have oktoprep in it. On your computer, download the 1.1.2 jailbreak here, and follow the onscreen instructions.
    - Video: If you need a video on how to jailbreak firmware 1.1.2, use ipodtouchmaster's video here.

==1.1.3==

- Brief Summary: Use iLiberty+, ZiPhone, or iDemocracy.
    - Detailed method: Download one of the above from the links above (preferably iLiberty+), connect your iPod, and click Jailbreak.
    - Video: If you need a video on how to jailbreak firmware 1.1.3 or 1.1.4, use ipodtouchmaster's video here.

==1.1.4==

- Brief Summary: Use either iLiberty+, ZiPhone, iDemocracy, winpwn, or Pwnage Tool.
    - Detailed method: Download one of the above from the links above (preferably iLiberty+), connect your iPod, and click Jailbreak.
    - Video: If you need a video on how to jailbreak firmware 1.1.3 or 1.1.4, use ipodtouchmaster's video here. He also has a Pwnage Tool video here.

For another guide on how to jailbreak each firmware, check gojohnnyboi's [not-quite-as] epic tutorial here.

Also remember the jailbreak section on iPod touch Fans forum is probably your best resource for jailbreaking. You can find it here.

HELP?

Okay, you've given me almost 9,000 Jailbreak methods. Which one is the best?

Simply use Pwnage Tool, Winpwn, or iLiberty+. The others are no good.

For a larger, more in-depth look at each Jailbreaking method, see Kiks52's iPod touch Reference.

For details on winpwn or Pwnage Tool, see the winpwn and Pwnage Tool sections on the iPod touch Fans forum and Danls92's Pwnage FAQ.

WAIT!

Wait, wait! What's this I've heard about Soft Upgrades? Soft upgrade is short for Software upgrade. It is a horrible method to jailbreak an iPod. Firstly, it requires you be jailbroken first. Then, it fools your iPod, iTunes, and you into believing that you are on another firmware. These are very buggy and have even been known to put your iPod into restore mode on random occasions. Under no circumstances should you do a Soft Upgrade.

~~Applications~~

Once you've jailbroken, you're probably wondering what applications are the best, what applications can I get? What, what, what? Thankfully for you, x6blues has written a wonderful guide about this subject here. I'm going to expand on this a bit though focusing on a few applications.

What applications should I get?

See Numb's guide here, and x6blues' New Jailbreakers guide here.
  3. spoonforknife

INSTALLER

The first application I will focus on is Installer. This is because Installer will be your main source of applications. You will start off with Community Sources, a group of sources that has lots of applications and themes for you. But there is a world beyond Community Sources with many exciting things.

Sources
    At this point, you should already have Community Sources. Community Sources is a collaboration of various commonly used sources. So tap sources on the bottom. It looks like a globe. Sources are how Installer gets applications. They are the “sources” of the applications.

Adding Sources
    We want to add sources to get the most out of Installer because Community Sources doesn't exactly have everything you want. To add a source, tap edit at the top. Tap add. Where it has the nice little http:// , we need to add a few good sources. One of the sources that compiles a lot of sources is Blaze Source. So we’ll install that one. Type into the field blazeco.info/blaze.xml, after the http://. After you’ve finished, there are now more categories, and things you are able to install. For a complete source list go to here. Since that does not have a complete list, I recommend The App List, Apple iPhone School or the application RepoName (which I'll get to later.)

Installing Applications
    Under the subheading, Install, find something that you would like to install. Once you install it, you can install something else, or get out of Installer. If you get out of Installer, your Springboard (Home screen) will restart, and you will go back to the slide to unlock screen. Once you slide, the new application will show up on your home screen. Congratulations, you’ve installed something!

Updates
    If an application is updated with new features and bug fixes, a little bubble with the number of updates will appear on the Update icon in Installer. From there, you can update applications. If you have updates that will update the application from for example, 0.61 to 0.62, to 0.61... then you have two sources that are conflicting. You do not need to worry about this. There is no problem.

Uninstalling Something and Unjailbreaking
    To uninstall something, go to the uninstall menu of Installer, and uninstall whatever you want. You can also uninstall Installer, if you want to “Unjailbreak.”

MOOCOWMUSIC

MooTheCow is an iPod touch Fans user who has made a multitude of applications for playing music: Pianist, Drummer, Guitarist, and Band. You can see all of his instruments at http://moocowmusic.com, check out his forum and all sorts of stuff. I will now cover each of his 4 applications individually.

==Drummer==

With MooCowMusic: Drummer, you can play a 15 pad drum pad with different available sounds, not just limited to drums. You can make your own packs, or download more off of the MooCowMusic Forum. You can also play up to 5 pads at a time. The repository it is on is down now, so you should try their forum for more details.

==Guitarist==

With MooCowMusic: Guitarist, you can play a hammer on guitar fretboard with support for 5 strings at a time. It is already available in Community Sources.

A COMPLETE LIST + THINGS YOU NEED TO INSTALL

==A Complete List==

For a nearly complete list of applications, see the App List or Apple iPhone School.

==Things You Need To Install==

• BSD Subsystems
    • OpenSSH
    • Jiggy Runtime
    • BossTool

ABOUT THESE APPS

BSD Subsystems is a prerequisite for most applications, and Installer will prompt you to install it if you try to install an application without it.

OpenSSH allows you to access your iPod via SSH. This means that you can access your iPod's file system from a computer to install applications or themes that cannot be installed via Installer.

Jiggy Runtime allows you to run applications written in Jiggy off of Installer. Good examples of Jiggy applications are RepoName, Reset, ITA, iHide, and *******ula.

BossTool allows you to move your Applications or Fonts to another partition to free up space on the partition that they were on. While this sounds either trivial or confusing, just install it, as it can prove very useful to your iPod touch and you.

For a longer more detailed list of, "Things You Need to Install," see x6blues' guide here.
  4. spoonforknife

~~General Help~~

Do you have a problem with your iPod? Before instinctively posting a thread in the Tech Help section, read over a few threads, namely these few.

Common Answers to Common Problems
    How to Fix Your iPod touch
    What To Do If Your Wi-Fi Doesn't Work
    How To Fix/Show Your Icons

Remember to look through other threads as well, and always use the search function. Then, you should go ahead and post your problem in a new thread or PM somebody that might know the answer. If you have absolutely no way to fix your problem, you have to Restore. Here are a few answers regarding restore questions in my "Common Answers," guide.

Your iPod Is Not Bricked

Help, I have the spinning circle of doom! Is my iPod bricked?
    No, it's not. To get out of the spinning circle of doom simply delete the last thing you installed via SSH. If you can't use SSH, check the Applications section below for alternatives. Also try using a backup of your N45AP.plist.

HELP!!! IT WON'T DO ANYTHING!!! I'M BRICKED!!!

No. You're not bricked. The only way that you would be bricked is that you ultimately failed in doing the Dual Boot, you entered a "death command" in Terminal, or you managed to screw up the bootloader. All of which are not easy to do unless you're trying to. The common user will never brick their iPod touch. A restore will fix any problem you have that has been related to jailbreak. If the issue is not fix, restore and take it to an Apple Store. It's their defect, not yours.

"How do I restore my iPod/iPhone?"

NOTE: A Force Restore should be used as a last resort!
    Turn off your iPod touch, and while it's off, hold the home button. While holding the home button, connect your iPod to your computer with its USB cable. It should turn on, but keep holding the home button. Now the "Connect to iTunes" icon should come up. You did it!

If you cannot get this to work, see Zombie_Killer's video here.

Solution: BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0!

Solution: Your iPod's music has seemingly disappeared!

Go to Settings and reset all settings. If that doesn't work, try again. Unfortunately, if that method manages not to work, you must restore.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Error Messages

For Error Message solutions, you can check Common Answers to Common Problems or this thread.

~~VoIP~~

VoIP is Voice Over Internet Protocol. In short, this allows you to talk on the phone over the internet, and a group of developers called TouchMods managed to do it.

This is a fairly complicated process, and you can use either my guide below (which is not anywhere on this forums, which is why it is here in entirety) or one of the guides on this forum in the VoIP and Telephony section. Remember, that section is your guide for VoIP and Telephony questions and answers.

Also remember, even with the SiP-VoIP application and a microphone, you can't call everywhere you are. It doesn't magically turn your iPod into a cell phone that can access cell tower signals. You must be in range of wi-fi, otherwise, it doesn't work. You mustn't rely on this as a phone, but merely a gimmick.

Have fun using your SiP-VoIP application!
  5. spoonforknife

~~Games~~

~~Emulators~~

PLEASE NOTE: This section is still under construction and may not have the correct information. If you spot an error in the guide, please tell me. Also, use this section at your own risk.

An emulator duplicates the function of one thing (i.e. Game Boy, Playstation, Sega Genesis) and allows it to be played on something else (i.e. Your iPod touch). Most of the emulators for the iPod touch are made by zodttd, which you can find at http://zodttd.com. You can play your favorite video games that you never got to play as a child. So have fun with them. But before I do that, I need to remind you of the legality of this sort of thing.

LEGALITY

Emulators themselves are not illegal. Various portions of emulators are illegal, and are therefore not included in the original copy of the emulator. You must find these various files yourselves. The illegal parts are "BIOS" and "ROMS," which are detailed below.

==BIOS==

In simple terms, a BIOS file is a "Built-In Operating System," meaning that it tells the emulator to run. The Emulator itself needs some instructions, and the BIOS will tell it how to run. BIOS files are illegal, so do not distribute them on this forum. They are illegal because they are an operating system. Think about if you copied Windows 95 install disks. Same thing.

==ROMS==

A "ROM" is a copy of a given console game. These "ROMS" can run on an emulator, and mostly are not legal. "ROMS" can be used to make copies of a game and easily spread to piracy. It is illegal to have a "ROM" for 24 hours, contrary to popular belief. However, some ROMS are legal. They are just crappy and are homemade. GameFAQs has more legal information for your enjoyment here.

GPSPHONE
    FINISHED!

gpsPhone is a Game Boy Advance (GBA) Emulator made by zodttd. You can get it from the zodttd repo at http://zodttd.com/repo/.

Place the BIOS in /Applications/gpSPhone.app
    Make sure it is titled gba_bios.bin, and set permissions to 755 or 777.

Place ROMS in /Media/ROMs/GBA.
    If the folder does not exist, create it, and stick the ROMS in there, setting permissions to 755.

GAMEBOY4IPHONE
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

gameboy4iphone is a Game Boy Color (GBC) Emulator made by zodttd. You can get it from the zodttd repo at http://zodttd.com/repo/.

Place ROMS in /Media/ROMs/GAMEBOY/
    If the folder does not exist, create it, and stick the ROMS in there, setting permissions to 755.

PSX4IPHONE
    FINISHED!

psx4iphone or psx4all is a Playstation (PSX) Emulator made by zodttd. You can get it from the zodttd repo at http://zodttd.com/repo/.

Place the BIOS in /Applications/psx4all.app
    Make sure it is titled scph1001.bin, and set permissions to 755 or 777.

Place ROMS in /Media/ROMs/PSX.

SNES4IPHONE

snes4iphone is a Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) Emulator made by zodttd. You can get it from the zodttd repo at http://zodttd.com/repo/.

Place ROMS in Media/ROMs/SNES.

GENESIS4IPHONE

genesis4iphone is a Sega Genesis Emulator made by zodttd. You can get it from the zodttd repo at http://zodttd.com/repo/.

Place BIOS in /Applications/genes4iphone.app
    Make sure it is titled us_scd1_9210.bin, and set permissions to 755 or 777.

Place ROMS in /Media/ROMs/GENESIS/

SCUMMVM

ScummVM is a Scumm platform emulator. You can get it at the following repository: http://urbanfanatics.com/scummvm.xml.

NES

NES is a Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) emulator made by Jonathan Zdziarski. You can get it at the AppTapp Source, which is already built into Installer. No BIOS are needed for the NES Emulator, but ROMS are required.

Place ROMS in /Media/ROMs/NES.

YEAH

For more information on Emulators, see the iPod touch Fans Emulators section, and my Emulators guide here.
  6. spoonforknife

~~Themes~~

COOL THEMES

Some of the cooler themes out there are very large and very complicated. Here are some of them.

Keep in mind, there are many other cool themes out there, just look in the iPod touch Fans forum theme section for all sorts of exciting themes.

If you're looking for a way to install the notoriously badly written Vista Maximus, look no further than my Vista Maximus Installation Guide!

For more theme information, see the iPod touch Fans forum theme section and the Summerboard/Theme FAQ.

SUMMERBOARD

Summerboard or SMB is an extension of the Springboard that allows you to choose themes for Springboard, which can be downloaded via SSH or through Installer.

CUSTOMIZE

Customize is a utility to customize the more complicated aspects of your iPod like the Carrier Image, slide to unlock text, in addition to theming as well.

MAKING YOUR OWN THEMES

To make your own themes, you must first know the dimensions of each image you are making. Here they are.

What Are the Dimensions?
    - Icon Dimensions: 60 by 60 pixels
    - Carrier Image Dimensions: 20 by <120 pixels
    - Background Dimensions: 320 by 480 pixels
    - Dock Dimensions: 320 by 91 pixels
    - Mini Dock (1.1.1/1.1.2): 320 by 37
    - Status Bar Dimensions: 320 by 20 pixels
    - Slider Dimensions: 71 by 47 pixels
    - Battery Dimensions: 264 by 129 pixels
    - Volume fill Dimensions: 10 by 4 pixels
    - Bottom bar Dimensions: 320 by 96 pixels
    - Volume knob Dimensions: 25 by 25 pixels
    - iPod bar Dimensions: 1 by 48 pixels

To Make a Theme...
    - Check michigan033's tutorial here!
    - Check tomsabin's tutorial here!
    - Check hockeypanda32's guide here!

Here Are Some Tips For Theme Making

- Don't copy other people's themes. The themes are theirs!
    - Don't just take other people's background and say it's your theme!
    - Vista themes are a "no-no." There are so many of them, nobody likes them anymore. For example, see my rant here.
    - Try something new. Flip things up. Innovative themes are always loved.
    - Be Complete. Skin everything! EX: Ultimate Leopard 2.0, Vista Maximus 4.0, Badge. We love them!
    - Icons. Make a lot of icons. People can sometimes not like a theme because it lacks lots of icons.
    - Include a screenshot. We want to see what it looks like!
    - Enjoy!

For a comprehensive look at this topic, see super51fan's comprehensive guide here.

~~Common Tasks / Tips & Tricks~~

How do I take Screenshots?

Screenshots are taken by installing either one of three applications. One is called Screenshot, another is Dock, and finally Capture. If you already have Dock, just open it and take a screenshot by pressing the screenshot button. If you need to install either of these applications, you can add the source

- http://iphone.robota.nl
    SCREENSHOT

- [Already in Community Sources]
    DOCK

- http://www.spaziocellulare.com/ispazio.xml
    CAPTURE

How do I take Screenshots of the Battery/Unlock Screen?

Tap screenshot, but immediately after that, press the home button twice really fast in succession to take the screenshot.

You can also use the following method.

The file he refers to is here.

How do I SSH?

For details on SSH, see my guide here.

How do I Backup my iPod?

There are a few methods of backing up your iPod. Here they are!

• Simply SSH into your iPod (see above) and take out your file system.
    • Use TimeCapsule, an application from Installer. Add the source "http://repo.databinge.com" to Installer.
    • Use iBackup, a backup solution for the PC by ipodtouchmaster05, located here.

Tips & Tricks

For iPod touch tips and tricks, see thomashayes' lovely guide here.

~~Unlocking An iPhone~~

~~Further Research~~

Since I obviously can't do everything, I will link you to some fantastic guides that cover the parts that I may have missed.
  7. spoonforknife

8. spoonforknife

Dear lord...
    2 people like this.
  9. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    this is sick!
    if you need more room, i'll delete this post, just tell me