Etymotic hf5 vs Sennheiser CX series

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by Sitruss, May 31, 2009.

1. Sitruss

Sitruss New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've been using Etymotic's ER6i for a while, and I love them, but the wiring is getting stiff and the sound is cutting in and out. I was planning on getting the hf5 to replace them, but there seems to be a ton of hype over the Sennheiser CX300/500. Compared to the nearly surgically precise sound of Etymotic's products, how do the Sennheiser products compare in terms of audio signature, soundstage, microphonics, etc? I understand that they won't be reference quality like the ER-4 series, but are they a suitable (and most importantly, cheaper) alternative? Obviously, a drop in price does not necessarily correlate to a drop in quality, but hopefully, this is not the case.

I noticed that Sennheiser's website states that they have 'bass-driven' sound. Anyone familiar with Etys knows that they have quick, punchy bass. Is the bass on the CX series booming, muddy, or what? I just wanted to know some of these things from people who have used the Sennheiser products.
  2. breakkdown

breakkdown Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Cue the chungster in 5...4...3...2...
  3. EBOBO

EBOBO New Member

1!

Doesn't que mean what?
  4. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes, I'm pretty sure it does. But that's a C, not a Q.
  5. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    CX series bass to my ears were slightly boomy, and the overall sound, I would assume would be very muddy if you come from Etymotics... If I'm not mistaken, Etymotic uses BA drivers, so moving to dynamic drivers would be a bit of a shock...Soundstage is meh...nothing to talk about. Microphonics are also just meh...Not brilliant, not exactly the worst (Except the CX300 which is horrible)
  6. that one guy

that one guy New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    what would you recommend?
  7. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm not sure if you want tight bass, but I'll do some thinking after school. It's 7:17AM and I'm just getting ready for school etc.