Ethernet to USB cable for Wired iPod touch Internet?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TechnoEagle, Jan 17, 2010.

1. TechnoEagle

TechnoEagle Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I need to be able to get internet for my iPod touch (some of the apps required internet), but I would rather not spend $30+ for a router. Is there some sort of Ethernet to USB adapter that I could use. I was thinking that I could take the iPod sync cable and plug the USB end into an adapter that I could plug into a computer with a wired connection. Would this work and where might I find such a cable?

Please don't post about how I should either use the computer or buy a router. I am looking for an alternative because I need internet on my iPod and I would rather not buy a wireless router.
    Thanks!

Please Register or Log in to view images

I realize there are a few other posts about this topic, but none have a solution.
  2. Odinbrisket1

Odinbrisket1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I had the same problem too I couldn't find an answer so I just bought a $15 router that spreads around my house then I got fios Internet and that works awesome
  3. TechnoEagle

TechnoEagle Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Odenbrisket1, could you give me the name/item number of the router you bought? I haven't been able to find a router that cheaply. The cheapest I've found was around $30.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Could I use internet sharing on my Mac? I've seen a couple articles about turning your Mac's wired connection into a wireless access point. Could someone tell me how this works and give my a step-by-step walkthrough on how to do this?
    Thanks!

4. tvoice1

tvoice1 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I could tell u how to do it in Windows, but I know nothing about Mac, sorry
  5. TechnoEagle

TechnoEagle Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Tvoice, if you could tell me how to do it on Windows, that would be great! I could probably figure out how to do it on a Mac if I knew the general idea of what I was doing.
  6. Sitruss

Sitruss New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    In today's world, I think the better choice would be to spring for a wireless router. it will become a necessity eventually.
  7. tvoice1

tvoice1 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well the first step, on windows, would be to establish an internet conection via Ethernet. Once that is up and running make sure that your wireless adapter is not connected to any other networks ad go into "Network and Sharing Center". once there click "Set up a new connection or network" and go to "set up a wireless ad-hoc network". there you can set up the SSID (Network name) and encryption type, make sure to allow internet connection sharing to this network. Once that is taken care of you can connect to the new network on your iPod just as any other wireless network. The main thing to remember here would be the Ad-Hoc network. The options should be generally the same on both Windows and Mac

hopes this solves your problem TechnoEagle
  8. TechnoEagle

TechnoEagle Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I set up an Ad Hoc network on my Mac, but when I load up safari on my iPod, it just keeps saying "Connecting". When I use any of the other apps that require internet, it acts as if I don't have a connection. Do I need to do something after setting up the network and joining it on my iPod?
    Ignore my last post. I just got it to work!!!! THANKS!

Now that I have my Ad Hoc network set up, I want to make sure it is secure. I set up a password, but I was hoping to do more than that. Is there a way to either make my network invisible or turn on MAC address filtering?
  9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

my pc

hey i read ur idea nd i see it worked for technoEagle ii tried the steps tvoice wrote but when i go to the network sharing center theres no "set up a wireless ad-hoc network" option so what do i do? i have windows vista thamks in advance for any help
  10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

MAC

How do I do this on a mac!!! I need help!!!