Error -48, Problem updating to 1.1.2 after jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by wondering, Nov 14, 2007.

1. wondering

wondering New Member

Starting with a factory-new ver 1.1.1 iTouch and frustrated with Apple's myopia as to user's needs, I decided to jailbreak it. The biggest obstacle I ran into was unknown error (-48) when I tried updating to 1.1.2 after jailbreaking it and running OktoPrep. And when I got to 1.1.2, the Install app was missing.

Here's the sequence from factory fresh:
    1. Safari logged onto jailbreakme.com and installed AppSnapp.

2. Ran "Installer" now on iTouch and installed OktoPrep.

3. Ran itunes 7.4.2 and clicked either "Restore" or "Update" (not sure whiche) which installed iTouch 1.1.2 - however the Install app was now gone.

4. Decided to restore to 1.1.1, so downloaded the iPod1,1_1.1.1_3A110a_Restore.ipsw file and tried to "Restore" (holding down opt key in itunes 7.4.2) - but got ".. could not be restored..." error.

5. Per ipodtouchfans jailbreak tip, put iTouch into "restore" mode using sleep & home keys. iTouch then accepted the 3A110a restore file. iTouch now back at 1.1.1.

6. Re-installed AppSnapp & OktoPrep as in #1 & #2 above.

7. Tried to "update" to 1.1.2 w/iTunes 7.4.2. Tried 3x times and always got "...problem downloading to ipod. . . unknown error (-48)" err. Rebooted PowerBook G4 and iTouch. Still same problem.

8. Updated iTunes 7.4.2 to 7.5. Update to 1.1.2 now worked, but Installer app is gone.

Has iTunes 7.5 been updated to overcome jailbreak 1.1.2??? Any suggestions?

I have carefully studied and searched many of your posts and appreciate this forum greatly!
  2. cman01

cman01 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    After updating to 1.1.2, your apps will be gone (installer, mail, etc...) If you ran oktoprep before updating, you can use the 1.1.2 jailbreak to get installer back.
  3. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, had the same error, driving me nuts... another reason why itunes is a POS. I love it how they put "unknown error 48" ... how the hell do they know its error 48 when its unknown ... idiots. Why not just print an explanatory message which could help users instead of sh*tting out useless messages like that one... poor error handling.
    downloading the iTunes 7.5 right now ... will update if this helped with the error.
  4. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Did fix the problem ... stupid iShmunes