Error 23 and more problems with iPhone 2G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sparkyx, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Sparkyx

Sparkyx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I will try and explain myself as best I can.

I've been jailbreaking and unlocking iPhones for a while without any problems before, but I think I may have done something very wrong this time.

I'm working with an iPhone 2G here. Upgraded to 3.0. I jailbroke it using Redsn0w, and had no problems there. I downloaded BootNeuter from Cydia, turned the iPhone to ALWAYS ON in settings, Restarted it without the comm program running through bootneuter, it automatically detected bootloader 4.9, so i stayed with that. I Turned on:

NEUTER
    FAKE BLANKS
    UNLOCK

^I probably shouldn't have turned on Fake Blanks, because i do not know what it does.

It flashed the Bootloader and said it was successful, then unlocked the phone and said it was successful, but after a restart, the phone says it needs restoring through iTunes in Recovery Mode. It only allows me to make emergency calls.

***I DID, and probably shouldn't have, KEEP THE AT&T SIM CARD IN THE PHONE WHILE I RAN BOOTNEUTER, because i didn't have the other SIM CARD yet. I am not sure if that is the cause of this, but I am guessing?

I Tried Restoring it in iTunes through DFU Mode several Times with all different firmware versions:

3.0, 2.2.1, 2.2, 2.1, 1.1.4

and each time, I get ERROR 23, 1600, or 1601 (16xx)

It is not stuck in DFU Mode, it will restart, but only goto the screen with the Emergency Calls unless I put it back in DFU mode.

I have looked elsewhere (googled it) and have found many responses regarding people saying I might have damaged the baseband, and the phone is completely bricked, but I was under the impression that "bricking" an iPhone is very difficult to do. I hope it's a software problem and not a hardware problem.

How can I fix this? Could I take this back to Apple and get it replaced? It's a 2G, and I don't think they still support them.

Thank You for taking the time to read this,
    -Adam
  2. r0b3rt_213

r0b3rt_213 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i think you download a beta firmware because that happened to me nd the firmware erased your imei so itunes wont restore it unless i can verify the imei so i jus have a useless 3g
    but i heard that you can restore using xcode so i dnt know about that
  3. Sparkyx

Sparkyx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I'm using Windows though, so is there something besides xcode i could use?

This doesn't mean the iPhone is completely Bricked though...does it? Because that would be kinda...bad. Is there a way to put the imei back on once it's erased?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Oh, I noticed one more thing. When I start it up again, and put the SIM card in it, there is one of those (i) things in the corner that you can click on. So I did...and It said:

IMEI:
    UNKNOWN

ICCID:
    UNKNOWN

So, i'm pretty sure that when it was flashed, it got erased. How do I put these back on?

UPDATE:

I Put it in DFU Mode again, and Used Redsn0w to jailbreak it again, so now it's hacktivated, but It won't make any calls because of the missing imei.

##########################################################
    FIXED:

I Fixed it!!! =] After I rejailbroke it using redsn0w and hacktivated it, I restored it through iTunes and rejailbroke it =]

CASE CLOSED =]
  4. richiricherd

richiricherd New Member

Hey dont leave alone with this trouble please, im facing same problem than you, my story is same than your, iphone 2g updated to version 3 then unlocked with redsnow but next day it became locked again, itunes refuses restore it with any restore version file, ive tried

iPhone1,1_1.1.4_4A102_Restore.ipsw
    iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw
    iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
    1stGEN_ONLY_3.0_Custom_Restore.ipsw

but always error 23 or error 10 or error 1601 or some else..

I wanna know please exactly what did you do? what version of redsnow did you use with what restore file?

Please dont leave me alone..
  5. Sparkyx

Sparkyx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I used redsnow 0.7.2 because it was the latest version at the time. What you have to do is put it into DFU mode, rejailbreak it with whatever firmware it has on it currently, (this will hacktivate it and allow you to access the springboard), then once it's hacktivated, put it into DFU mode and restore to factory 3.0 in iTunes. The hacktivation should trick iTunes and restore the iPhone's IMEI and other data back to the factory settings.

I hope i was of some help.
  6. mad99

mad99 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    same problem i hav got an iphone 3g with same problem please help.....

Please Register or Log in to view images

ples brothers help me i hav got some problem while jailbreaking my phone 3g 16gb v 2.2 something went wrong and the is no imie no,no baseband or sereal no i tryed to jailbreak it but it was not successfull ,when i try to restore it error 23 appers..in both dfu and recovery mode...please some body help mecoz i am very worried

------------------double post merged------------------
    please somebody please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Are you sure you're in DFU mode? There should be a blank screen.
    One in DFU mode click restore to restore to the latest firmware.

And might you please edit your post to make it a bit more readable? And don't bump resolved threads.
  8. Sparkyx

Sparkyx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Read my instructions

Follow my directions.

Step 1 DFU Mode
    Step 2 Jailbreak and hacktivate using Redsn0w
    Step 3 DFU Mode again
    Step 4 Restore in iTunes