[Error 20] Can't Downgrade iPod touch 3.0 to 2.1.1

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by FrankZ0509, Sep 10, 2009.

1. FrankZ0509

FrankZ0509 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've had an iPod touch (2G) for a while now, and I have been able to successfully upgrade it to the OS 3.0 (official release), and then jailbreak it.

However, I didn't like the jailbroken 3.0; the best apps were somehow incompatible in terms of performance and functionality. So I wanted to downgrade to 2.1.1.

Unfortunately, I've encountered a problem during the restore part; here's what I did and where the error showed up.

1. I put my device into DFU mode by holding the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons together for 10 seconds; and releasing the Sleep/Wake button during the 10th second mark. (Apple logo)
    2. I waited until the device was in DFU mode, by waiting for the 'Connect to iTunes' image to appear.
    3. After I've confirmed that it is indeed in DFU mode, I connected it to my computer via the USB cable; iTunes detected it successfully as an iPod touch on restore mode.
    4. On the iTunes interface, I Shift+Click'ed on 'restore' and located the 'iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Restore.ipsw' file.
    5. iTunes finished the 'extracting software' phase, but as soon as the 'preparing iPod for restore' part came up, an error message showed up indicating that my iPod cannot be restored due to 'ERROR 20'.

Anybody have an idea what's this all about? I've tried restoring it back to 3.0 firmware w/o the jailbreak, which was successful, before downgrading to 2.2.1; but the error's still there. I'm pretty sure that this is official release and not a BETA, which is why my device shouldn't be locked to 3.0.

Thanks in advance.
  2. azntiger1000

azntiger1000 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    First of all, the screen with the "Connect to iTunes" is not the DFU mode. DFU mode is black, but its on and when you plug it into iTunes it will say in restore mode.
  3. MuseFan288

MuseFan288 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    dfu shift plus restore
    to get into dfu open itunes and connect your ipod
    when itunes recognizes your ipod hold the sleep and home button till the ipod disappears from itunes
    3 seconds after it disappears let go of the sleep button and keep holding home button
    itunes will eventually recognize it as a ipod in dfu mode
    when that happens hold shift and click restore choose your firmware and wait for the downgrade.
  4. FluffyofDoom

FluffyofDoom Member

i heard something about apple sighning 3.1.1/3.1 so that you couldnt downgrade....EVER
  5. FrankZ0509

FrankZ0509 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ah, I was misguided all along then. Thanks man.

The problem is that I'm on 3.0; no revision, no minor version. Three-point-oh plain.

Thanks for the responses. I'll try to re-do DFU mode. Anyway, does anybody know what error 20 means?
  6. fmj77

fmj77 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    In order to downgrade to the 2.2.1 firmware you need to use an older version of itunes. I was able to downgrade mine using itunes version 8.1.1. Hope this helps.
  7. FrankZ0509

FrankZ0509 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, I downgraded to 8.1, but iTunes say that it can't work with my iPod and that I need a newer version of iTunes. =| Thanks for the input though.

Anyhow, I've finally gotten it to work!

I was confused into thinking that restore mode = DFU mode, which is why the Error 20 shows up. BUT now that I've been able to correctly open up DFU mode, the restore process went on smoothly. I'm now in the process of jailbreaking my iPod with QuickFreedom (redsn0w and quickpwn seems to have a problem with my 2.2.1 ipsw file. *sighs.*).

Anyhow, thanks for everyone who gave helped! Cheers iptf.

Please Register or Log in to view images