Error 1602 when updating

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by Richownsyou, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Richownsyou

Richownsyou New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    It gives me unexpected error 1602 when I try to update. DID u guy paid yet? I can't seem to be able to do it . Can someone link me to apple chat support please I can't find it

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. damniatx

damniatx New Member

another same problem.

what apple doing to us...?, he made my ipod broken.

still no one how to fix it ?
  3. Richownsyou

Richownsyou New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I'm going to try to live chat with them I can't find the f***ing link.
  4. Viperk88

Viperk88 New Member

Is it saying it cant restore the ipod? If so..I spent hours trying to fix it, and the fix I found was restoring the ipod touch on another computer that has itunes. Once you have the firmware, plug the ipod into your computer with all your music files and then it will sync up fine
  5. Richownsyou

Richownsyou New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thanks that works.
  6. Credema

Credema New Member

I currently have the same error, telling me that it cannot restore my ipod (1602). However, when I go on another computer, I am able to restore the firmware 1.1.4 just fine but, when I go to download firmware 2.0, it asks me to buy it again on that computer.
  7. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    we need to make an "error fix" thread. post the error and stuff about it. then tell how to fix that error.
  8. CApaddler

CApaddler New Member

Hey guys, I agree, we REALLY NEED a dedicated "Error 1602 / 1604 Problems & Solutions" thread. I am having the problem as well and have tried just about everything. The following steps have been taken, starting with my OOTB 1.1.4 non-jailbroken iPod Touch running Windows XP:

1. Upgrade iTunes to 7.7, purchase version 2.0 of software for $10 and attempt to install via iTunes - failed with Error 1602
    2. Used iLiberty to "Kick device out of recovery mode" (this process has to be completed after each failed attempt as otherwise I am stuck with the USB cable / connect to iTunes image on the Touch's screen), attempted to perform restore via iTunes, selecting 2.0 software as source - failed
    3. Kicked out of recovery mode, attempted restore, selecting 1.1.4 software as source - failed
    4. Uninstalled iTunes / Quicktime / Apple Mobile Device Support / Apple Software Updater as per WinXP instructions at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925?viewlocale=en_US. Repeated attempts above - failed
    5. DID NOT kick out of recovery mode, closed iTunes, started iTunes again. Prompted with "Detected an iPod in recovery mode, must be restored before use" - clicked restore, selected 2.0 as source - failed
    6. DID NOT kick out of recovery mode, closed iTunes, started iTunes again. Prompted with "Detected an iPod in recovery mode, must be restored before use" - clicked restore, selected 1.1.4 as source - failed
    7. Did several of the above steps with nothing else connected to USB ports, and switching up the USB ports - failed

I seem to have exhausted all tips I have found online through Google and various forums, including the ridiculous instructions from Apple to just remove all Apple software and reinstall. What a waste of time. Anyway, the ONLY tip I have not attempted is to perform a restore / upgrade on a second computer - I don't have access to one at the moment and would like to solve this another way.

I am definitely open to more suggestions as I would really like to get 2.0 up and running. Hell, I paid for it!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Wow, what a waste of half a day. I had to solve this myself as I am in Europe and can't just head down to a local Apple Store for help or a replacement.

Here are the steps I had to take to work around the problem.

1. Find a second computer, install iTunes (iTunes was not previously on the 2nd PC)
    2. Connect iPod Touch in normal mode, Firmware 1.1.4, non-restored
    3. Authorize iTunes on computer 2 using my Apple ID
    4. Copied paid copy of Firmware 2.0 from computer 1 to USB stick, transferred to computer 2 (necessary because despite account authorization, iTunes wanted to sell me Firmware 2.0 again!)
    5. Held Shift while clicking Restore in iTunes
    6. Selected Firmware 2.0 file
    7. Waited 10 minutes, restore and installation completed
    8. Connected to computer 1. Interesting note here: without being prompted, a restore of my backed up settings occurred. It worked fine, so I can't really complain, but I would have liked to have been prompted
    9. After several cycles of "Syncing iPod -- Synching complete -- Synching iPod -- ..." it finally visibly calmed down and settled into normal synching mode. Music files began to transfer. I canceled so I can play with the Firmware and transfer my 14GB of music overnight.

This is clearly a software problem and quite unacceptable in my opinion.
  9. chinook

chinook New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    My ipod is in DFU mode. When i hook it up to itunes i get a 1602 error. Same thing goes for my mom's computer and my dad's Waht can I do?

Nevermind I used iBrickr and fixed it