Error 14- Want to confirm something

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Legendairy, May 28, 2009.

1. Legendairy

Legendairy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have a friend who tried updating his iPod Touch 2G from 2.1.1 to 2.2.1 and iTunes gave him error 14, put his ipod in recovery mode (connect to itunes screen), and made it unable to restore via DFU mode (error 14).

I read on the forums that error 14 in this case is solved by updating to 2.2 instead of directly to 2.2.1, can someone confirm this, the reason I'm asking to be confirmed is because the spot I found it, it was unconfirmed by anyone.

Also, if this isn't the solution to error 14 in this case, then what is?

Thanks
  2. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If the device was in Recovery Mode, you need to put it in DFU mode in order to get a clear update. DFU has a much lower failure rate and you should be able to upgrade to any current firmware through DFU.
  3. Legendairy

Legendairy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Did already.
  4. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    DFU Mode is not the same as Recovery Mode, just making sure we're clear on that. Lots of people get the two confused. What I would try to do is let iTunes do an update instead of a restore (without DFU or Recovery Mode, just like normal) and see what kind of luck you get. Error 14 seems like it had something faulty within the firmware, are you sure that it's the original firmware and not one of the old, tethered firmwares that you have lying around?
  5. Legendairy

Legendairy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Let's just say it isn't a faulty ipsw, (i'm not 100%, but I can't put my money on it, but I did redownload today, so I'll try again later today when I can). I know what DFU mode is, I'm not a complete nub

Please Register or Log in to view images

, but amazingly I know more then everyone at my school, everyone keeps saying his iPod is bricked so he's going crazy. lol. If faulty firmware/DFU mode doesn't work, then what should I do?

Also, I considered that it was a faulty firmware so I did the arm7_go exploit (from tethered redsn0w) to let iTunes restore the firmware, but I just kept getting "Preparing to Restore" for 10 minutes, didn't wait to see what error would come up, but I know it won't work because it happened to me before.

So.. what could I try if redownloading the firmware and DFU mode didn't work?

I was reading online and some people who had the problem fixed it by restoring with a Mac, is this really necessary?
  6. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

What do you mean "Recovery mode"? Does it look like this:

7. Legendairy

Legendairy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes. But I fixed it using another method, thanks anyway.
  8. Alok

Alok New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm just curious, how did you fix it?
  9. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That wasn't even DFU Mode then..

10. Alok

Alok New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ^ use redsn0w .3

seriously, why is everyone obsessed with QuickFreedom now that Redsnow is out?