Erase & Sync - please help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sonny123, Oct 24, 2008.

1. sonny123

sonny123 New Member

Hi Guys,

I have been syncing my JB ipod touch with my sisters laptop since day one.

Using a external HD, I Spent the whole day transferring my music from my Laptop to my Desktop as my sister is taking the laptop away at college. I also transferred Appstore apps + cydia apps.

At the end of the day, I connected my ipod touch 2.1 1G to the desktop and itunes said something along the lines of:

this ipod has been synced with another itunes library, to use it with THIS library 'press sync and erase' or choose 'cancel' .

I hit 'cancel' and then selected 'manually manage music'. I then dragged and dropped music onto my ipod and it works fine. I then tried to sync a tic-tac-toe app (which is free by the way) and it said:

'this will erase apps currently on the ipod and sync apps from this library'

My questions are:

1. If I click on 'ERASE & CANCEL' will it simply ONLY erase the music/vids on my ipod?

I don't mind if it does that as I have my music on the desktop itunes library. What i am really WORRIED about, is if it will ERASE my appstore apps + cydia apps - Will it?

2. How can I make my desktop itunes library sync apps with the ipod and not erase the apps already on it? Because I don't want to lose information, for example, progress in games etc. Am i right in assuming the ONLY way is to ssh into app folders and back up the 'documents' and 'library' folders (which contain the game saves/progress etc.) and then start a NEW sync with the apps that are on the desktop pc?

Please reply if you are 100% sure of your answers. I posted this question on 2 other forums and some folks are certain that 'erase and sync' will RESTORE my ipod (to original apple un-JB firmware) and screw everything up , whereas others say it will not.

Many , many thanks.

Sonny
  2. sonny123

sonny123 New Member