Enough of the 2.1G and the 2.5G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Milesneptune, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Milesneptune

Milesneptune Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Look will people quit posting about how the iPod Touch 3g should be the 2.1G or the 2.5G or the 2GS. It is the 3g. Imagine that there were no rumors that the iPod touch having a camera. You would think this is a good upgrade. It is getting annoying to keep reading posts everywhere. When someone says the iPod touch 3g someone responds and says you mean the 2.5G? Also you people who keep making threads: "LOOK!!!!! HERE IS PROOF THE IPOD TOUCH WILL HAVE A CAMERA" get over it. Look at the 3G firmware file it says iPod3,1 not iPod2,2. The iPod touch may have a camera next September but not in the next few months. You are creating hope for yourselves and then you will be let down again when another iPod doesn't appear until next September. Get over it and get the 3g or keep your current device. If you haven't read this Steve Jobs said why there is not a camera. Please stop with the iPod touch 2.xg and it will have a camera crap.

Thank You

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. tamachanusko

tamachanusko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  3. Milesneptune

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    you just love to piss me off you think I was lying about getting the 3g?
  4. MaxPower49

MaxPower49 Member

Device:
    iPad
    As far as I can tell, Apple isn't calling these devices "3G"
  5. Antonpup

Antonpup Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    lol :d
  6. tamachanusko

tamachanusko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Sorry.

It was a joke

Was kinda funny though lol.

7. Milesneptune

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ya why do you think I was lying about getting the 3g?
  8. tamachanusko

tamachanusko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    To keep you happy while you wait for it

9. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    acually they is word of an ipod touch with a camera, if that is so, that will be the true 3g not this one, which would make the one that is out now sort of an ipod touch 2.5g
  10. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Seriously, Apple doesn't name ANY of their iPods *G. That's only for the iPhone. It was named 3G although it was the 2ND GENERATION iPhone because it was capable of utilizing 3G networks. And the 3GS had MAJOR UPGRADES but yet Apple named it 3GS, not 4G - because it was an upgraded iPhone running on the 3G network!

As for iPod touches, a released upgrade is considered a new GENERATION! The 'G' in the iPhone 3G and 3GS DOES NOT STAND FOR GENERATION, it represents the network type capability of the device. iPod touches, or any iPods for that matter do not run on 3G or any mobile networks!

And all this 3G and 2.5G and 2GS speculation are just names made up by iPod owners, NOT BY APPLE! NOT ONCE IN HISTORY HAS APPLE REFERRED TO AN IPOD AS A 3G or 5G or 65000G or any G!

So stop wasting your time arguing over what the new iPod is called. Apple has not named it anything yet! They refer to it as "the new iPod touch", so go with that. And stop the flaming over people referring to it and using the wrong name.

PS: The caps in this post are to highlight important facts, not a representation of shouting.

---------------------------------------------
    EDIT: I think the mods should make a sticky clearing up this naming issue so there are not millions of posts dealing with the naming, and there will also be less of the trolling and flaming over the names.

In short:
    1) Apple has never referred to an specific iPod generation (meaning any of the iPods in existence) as xG.

2) The G suffix is only used in the iPhone branch, and used by Apple to show that the device has 3G network capability.

3) As of present, Apple does not use the G suffix in ANY OF THEIR DEVICES (not only iPods and iPhones) to represent a GENERATION.

4) The 3GS was named so because it was an upgrade to the iPhone 3G. It kept the 3G because it ran on the 3G network. (Btw the iPhone 3G was reall the 2nd generation.)

5) iPods do not have support for any mobile network and therefore do not carry the G suffix.

6) Apple referred to only the 1st generation iPod touch as the iTouch for a short while, now it's officially called the "iPod touch". People may still use iTouch as an abbreviation, and they won't go to jail for it so lay off.

7) Apple refers to the current iPod touch as "the new iPod touch", not the 2G or 2GS or 3G or 2nd generation or 3rd generation. And until Apple changes it, the name will officially be "the new iPod touch" (note touch has a lower case 't').

8) The G for generation was made up by us people (meaning owners of iPods), and yet still we argue over which one is correct.

Whew that was long. I typed all of this from my iPod so forgive me if there are any spelling errors or numbering errors and that kind of stuff. This is my 5th time editing!!!