English Language Discussion/Help Thread

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Vince, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I think I will try an "easy-to-navigate" format for this! I am also trying to make this post "translator ready" for anyone who might need to translate it and I am not sure if contractions work in translators well...so I am trying to avoid using those.

Observation:
    I notice on a regular basis around these forums that a lot of our members do not speak English as their first language. I applaud all of you who fall into this category because English is the only language I am fluent in, so you all have my respect for branching out and trying to strengthen your grasp of the language. However, English is a very odd language, and there are some things that I am just starting to grasp about it myself. I have noticed that sometimes posts are unclear because of a loose grasp on the language, and it makes it very hard to reply to those posts. Also, there are many native English speakers on these forums who either blatantly disregard the grammatical rules of our language or simply do not know the difference between what is wrong and right.

Purpose:
    I would like to create an environment where anyone can discuss things that they are unsure about and be comfortable with it. Whether it be whether a sentence is structured right or whether the right word is being used or anything basically. Hopefully we can gather people who have a firm grasp of the English language to watch over this thread and give assistance to those who need it or want it.

Things that belong here:
    -Questions! "When do I use your as opposed to you're?" and things of that nature. Was "and" supposed to be capitalized (no really...I'm asking that.) (answered by J-Phone, post 6)
    -Post drafts! "Hi, I was unsure if my post made sense. Can you read it for me? <insert post>"
    -Feedback! Of course this is essential, without feedback nothing would ever get accomplished.
    -Links! Within the limits of the rules. I would like to gather a list of links to grammar based websites that the majority of members can find useful.
    -Other languages! If you cannot find the words in English to represent your thoughts, then feel free to post in your native language! We have a lot of multilingual users around the forums that I could probably hunt down to provide an adequate translation.

Rules:
    I am making one, and only one, thread rule: no disrespect. Flaming and trolling do fall under that category. This is a place to learn and receive help, there is no room for negativity. This is a positive thread! If you make someone feel bad, there will be disciplinary actions taken.

End Note:
    I just want to make this thread a useful, happy, and helpful place. If I can accomplish that, I will be happy and if this thread is effectively used, there should be a lot less confusion and hate on these forums. Also, I will be linking this thread in my signature, I suggest that if you find it useful you link it as well because this section of the forum (which is where bgizzle advised me to put the thread, although I am open to it being anywhere so long as it is seen) is not frequently visited. All this being said, please feel free to start discussion. And enjoy.

Links:
    - youryoure.com (and all of its related sites)
    - grammarbook.com (thanks to J-Phone for this)
  2. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That's not a bad idea. In fact, it might be very useful. Good job!

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah it's something that's been floating around in my head for a long while, and I finally went ahead and decided to make it. I'm glad you like it!
  4. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm willing to help out since I've done English Language to A-Level at college. Any questions, please feel free to ask!

I'm also going to be enforcing the rules, so absolutely no flaming.
  5. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thank you meik! I was hoping for staff support! I don't need background checks on your ability to speak english lol, I just would rather not have the "I defiantly want an iPad its so cool I use my moms iPad all the time! You're iPod Touch is sooooooo no good as iPad." people in here telling other people how to speak the language if you catch my drift.

EDIT: for those of you wondering "what's wrong with his quote?" it should be:
    I definitely want an iPad. It's so cool. I use my mom's (to show possession yes? because "moms" is for plural use) iPad all the time! Your iPod Touch is so not as good as an iPad.
  6. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You don't capitalis it because it isn't a important world and plus, your not suppose to start a sentence with and.
  7. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I suggest you check that link in my OP good sir!

Please Register or Log in to view images

See, I'm always confused when it comes to quotes within a sentence, because the general rule of thumb is that if there's any form of punctuation that ends a sentence, the next word is capitalized. I guess quotes can be treated similarly to parentheses? Where they're isolated.
  8. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That should help.
  9. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I found that very helpful J-Phone, thank you! Keep in mind I just graduated from high school this year, I've always had English teachers say "Punctuation always comes before the end quotation mark!" and I always thought that logically that made no sense outside of commas and periods.

May I have your source on that J-phone? I'd like to link it in the OP.
  10. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    This is a fantastic idea. I'm somewhat of a stickler for grammar, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I'll probably learn a few things as well.