Enable Audio through iPod touch WITHOUT screen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Necrodox, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Necrodox

Necrodox New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well my screen is gone, it shattered in the process of replacing the audio jack, I need to test the new audio jack to make sure it even works before I decide to purchase a replacement screen.

Is there anyway I can enable the audio from my iPod Touch via my computer?

Meaning I connect my iPod Touch to the computer, download some software or something and click ok and the music starts playing THROUGH my iPod Touch.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    If you have headphones with a remote, then just click it once and wait. Music should play.
  3. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you somehow manage to install Veency, you could remotely control your iPod on your computer.

Is your screen just shattered, or does it not work at all? Meaning there is no function.
  4. MadasHell

MadasHell New Member

Quite simple:

- Plug your headphones into the iPods headphone jack.
    - Using the USB cable, connect your iPod to your PC.

You should hear a 'ding' sound (indicates charging/pc connection) coming from both sides of the headphone. If you don't hear it, that means that your new jack isn't working, or the volume is muted.
  5. Necrodox

Necrodox New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My screen isn't even there, it shattered and doesn't work so I threw it out.

Thanks MadasHell, I tried it and there is in fact sound.

Now another thing I found odd, my volume controls on the side DO NOT work now, I remember using them awhile back.

I only have apple headphones with the volume control buttons, not the play, pause buttons. :/

Anyone know why my volume control might not be working?
  6. MadasHell

MadasHell New Member

The first iPod Touch 2G that i bought in Nov. 2008 developed a volume control and sleep/wake buttons issue after 4 months of use, where the buttons eventually were recessed so much that they ended up being flush with the side of case/chrome backing. The only way i could get them to work was if i pushed the buttons REALLY hard.

Maybe that's what happened to your volume buttons?

On a semi-related issue, the iPod 2G I purchased in late May 2009 has not developed the recessed volume buttons after 9 mths of use(think Apple fixed that issue), however my sleep/wake button has sunk so low that is nearly flush with the case

Please Register or Log in to view images

Anyhow, other than the volume buttons being flush with your case, I don't know why else your vol buttons wouldn't work.
  7. Necrodox

Necrodox New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm pressing them pretty hard, the iPod touch doesn't need to be unlocked to use the volume does it?

I remember controlling volume without it being unlocked so I'm pretty sure it doesn't, I'm just afraid I might have statically fried something on the iPod motherboard and the volume doesn't work, I really wouldn't want to invest in a new screen if the thing doesn't work.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. MadasHell

MadasHell New Member

Just tested:

If an audio track is not playing, the volume buttons do not work when the iTouch is locked.

However, the volume buttons can work while the device is locked if you first double-click the home button (triggers the iPod controls to be displayed on the screen-lock screen), which allows the vol buttons to function.
  9. Necrodox

Necrodox New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I wish I had my home button, LOL!

It's all good, I'll just buy the screen and if all goes wrong I suppose I can sell the whole damn thing for maybe a good one fifty.

We'll see, thanks for the help guys.