Emulating user input in a running app

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by dekz, Jun 10, 2010.

1. dekz

dekz New Member

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if this has been done (hopefully even documented somewhere). The idea is to emulate(automate) user input for an application. So I see either 2 ways to do this, either call the apple api which is sent to the app? Or just reverse the app and find its user input methods and activate those.

Any information on this would be awesome. Just a step in the right direction is also appreciated.
  2. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    1. Check out the UI Automation framework (or library, I'm not exactly sure what it is). It lets you create JavaScripts that test your app's UI. I'm not sure if it's 4.0-only though.
    2. -[UIApplication sendEvent]
    3. UIApplication has some private user interaface recording methods. Class-dump UIKit to find out more (I forgot their names)
    4. You could reverse GraphicsServices and/or hook into SpringBoard, but I assume it's overkill and you may not be up to the task (no offense)
  3. dekz

dekz New Member

Thanks very much launchd, will check out those options. Another question, do you know of any other sites which have resources on reversing information? (There are some tutorials here but not many which relate).