Review Eliss

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Shaded Light, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Shaded Light

Shaded Light Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Eliss
    by Shaded Light

Steph Thirion brings you: Eliss, a retro space game in which you use multitouch to create supernovas: simply create the needed amount of supernovas to move on. This is, by far, the best multitouch app in terms of control. Using up to 5 fingers to play the game. Not visually stunning, but the retro graphics are very fun, and the retro music that plays while you do, is great as well.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Click the image to go to the game's website

The 0bjective of this game is to make supernovas by putting planets into squeesars. You have to match your planet size to the given squeesar, this is don by using 2 fingers to pull the planet into 2 (making 2 small planets) or merging 2 planets together to make 1 big planet. When the planet is the proper size, you can put it into the squeesar and the supernova is made and disappears. There are no points, and you lose by running out of health. You lose health by having planets of different colors touching each other or by touching a sun.

When you turn on the app, you are greeted by a very simple menu. I'd check the How-To menu before giving it a go, so get a good visual of what things are. After that, just tap start and you are ready to go. The music grabs your attention and for some reason the retro style makes you feel young.

I made a GIF image of the basic controls.

How does it play?

Very well, the animations are very smooth, the graphics are not amazing compared to other apps, but for a 2d retro style game this is pretty much perfect, and the controls are so fun. Don't let the dull/pastel colors fool you, this is a very exciting game. I have yet to use an app that requires 5 fingers on the screen at once, and even though 5 sounds like too much or annoying, the games simplicity counters that and it's incredibly entertaining. You use 1 finger to drag the planets around, 2 fingers to merge a planet or separate one, and you can do this to multiple planets at each time, which is necessary to avoid the planets from making contact and to make supernovas. The one minor flaw is that the circles can have some jagged edges when you look closely.

Here are some screenshots courtesy of Appweek.ly

The gameplay is relatively simple. Good hand eye coordination and the ability to multitask are the only skills you need. If score was implemented, you would need a little bit more than those 2 basic skills, but there is no score, just entertainment.

Be sure to avoid Vortexes and Suns. You can also receive a slow motion power up, which makes it much easier to control. In the Lite version of the game, you are limited to only planets, you only get 3 levels. The full version packs 26 levels, more planet colors, vortexes, suns, and slow motion. The developer also promises more updates on the full version.

In this shot, I just formed a supernova in the top left corner.

As you go through the game, difficulty increases as it should. It gets hard by increasing the number of supernovas you have to make, giving you more planets to handle, adding more vortexes, and more suns.

Here's a video from Steph Thirion:

Click to view​

Music?

Awesome. Not necessarily music, but the sound effects are great. I love sound, and the polytonic retro sound is amazing. It goes great with the game, and it also reminds of sounds from a few classic Atari games, and also has a sense of some Pokemon music. It's not incredibly high pitched or annoying, so it has a calming effect.

In this shot, a second supernova that i made has exploded.

Praise

If you checked out their website, you will have noticed 7 quotes from different high caliber sites, including sites like TUAW. They've also been nominated for the award of 'Innovation on Mobile Game Design' by IGF. Here are a few quotes:
    • "What might be the future of gaming." -TUAW
    • "One of the most essential games for the platform." - Boing Boing
    • "There isn't another game like Eliss." - Offworld

Overall

Not many people know about this game, when i searched iPTF for Eliss, the only 2 results i got were from the Release Bot. A game this good should have some more attention. With the game section being flooded by various 3D games and Mafia Wars style games, games like these get lost. This is a very good app, and it should be treated as such.

You can't go wrong with Eliss. if you are broke or are skeptical, try out Eliss LITE. Once You've done that you'll be ready to buy the full version at it's discounted price of 99 cents (discounted from $3.99). $3.99 is a tad bit too much in my opinion, and i feel the normal price should be $2.99, but 99 cents is a steal.

Graphics - 9
    Audio - 9
    Gameplay - 10
    Replay Value – 9.5
    Value for Money - 9
    Overall - 9.4

Buy it now by clicking on the price below:

Attached Files:

2. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I played this game before, it's sooooo hard.
  3. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Looks like that ZodTTD game that begins with N :S
  4. nikj14

nikj14 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    it reminds me of galcon
  5. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    game actually looks bad, but your review makes it sound good... errr....

great review, again.
  6. Shaded Light

Shaded Light Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    you just kinda contradicted yourself. you said a negative, you used "but" and followed with a negative. do you like it or not.

it's a very nice game. like i said in the review, don't let the pastel colors deter you, atleast try the LITE version before making harsh judgements.

and thanks for the comment about my review.