Eliminate: New FPS from NGMOCO

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by red_5, Oct 31, 2009.

1. red_5

red_5 Member

Ok, so when I heard about this during the summer I got kind of excited. Online FPS play, woo hoo. Love that stuff. Got more and more hyped as they released more and more information. I could barely contain myself when they put up the Eliminate website. It looked awesome. Tons of customization and cool weapons. And when they told us they finally submitted it, I about pooped my pants.

Then we had to wait like a month for the stupid thing to be approved. This, common to contrary opinions, is only partially NGMOCO's fault. Their game was so complex it was going to take a while to scrub everything and make sure it fit the rules. I followed them ruthlessly via RSS and Twitter, determined to have the game within 30 seconds of its availability.

Last night, my wish came true. I happened to be at a dance when I got the Twitter Mobile Text containing NGMOCO's tweet. Lots of celebration. But unfortunately, I couldn't get it then because I had to set up a secondary AppStore account that was set up for Canada.

Got the game this morning. Finally, after months of waiting, my moment has come. Here's what I thought:

Menu system: easy to navigate. Maybe a small bit of confusion trying to figure everything out, but the "WTF" button in the lower right corner helped me find my way easily enough.

Gameplay: Graphics are awesome, even on a non-OpenGLES or whatever system. Controls are a little annoying, as the view turning slows and stops when you take your finger off. Firing weapons is a little iffy but using double-tap-and-hold works nicely. The jump button is a little hard to hit accurately but at least it exists. Sound effects are good but the rifle sounds kinda wussy. It feels slow at first, but powerups and upgrading make it blazing fast and incredible to play.

Upgrades and energy: This is of course where everyone tends to get pissed. Let me clear this up right now: YOU CAN STILL PLAY IF YOU RUN OUT OF ENERGY. You just don't earn credits, which you would use to buy armor, weapons, and upgrades. However, two full recharges are included so you can get used to the way everything works. In my opinion, being able to play even though you don't have energy is good. You get time to practice against real people, and then when the time comes to earn credits, you can earn even more because you got better while you're waiting.

Bottom line: 3.5 out of 5 stars. Controls need a little refinement and the menu music sucks. But yes, you can listen to your own music in the game. Overall, I'm very impressed. This is definitely going to set a benchmark for online FPS games on the iDevices. And for only being live for one day so far, it's very well done.

Get it.
  2. oaqque

oaqque New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The hell? You gave it a 3.5 and you were impressed? I disagree. I'd give it a 4.5
  3. 2gcasereviews

2gcasereviews New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Dude...i'd give like a 4.8 cuz of the 4 hour wait time for one match (for earning credits i mean...i pratice with no energy too!) I cant buy energy packs because im using a friends canadian account. So he made it just for the game, so i have to wait 12 hours for a full charge.
  4. iptlolage123

iptlolage123 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i would give it a 4.2 because its one of not many on the app store
  5. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    use the prescribed scoring system (see the sticky at the top of the forum)... it removes all the hassle out of trying to make your score fit how you feel about an app...
  6. Evostance

Evostance Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I'd have given it a 3 - Fair to be honest.

The controls are a pain to use, you turn too slowly, moving is a pain as is firing. When your controlling you can hardly see the screen.

They need to work on the controls until they are of a standard like MiniGore
  7. killermole23

killermole23 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    kinda hard when it's an FPS and Minigore is over head...
  8. red_5

red_5 Member

Fire using double-tap-and-hold. Helps a ton. Also, crank up the sensitivity. That way you need less thumb movement and less covering the screen.
  9. eKoKnight

eKoKnight Member

I found this game very very good. Though It be cooler if it used the new ipod touch 3gen graphic egine.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I spent some money on it to give to the developers.. At least 70 dollars onto them. If you guys play the game and like to add me. My name on the game is eKoDaniel. This is my first FPS And though its not like COD4 or any other pc shooting game. I still find this game fun.

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. n_848

n_848 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i would give it a 5... if there were no power cells and more maps

for now... 4.5