Electrocuted my Ipod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by generalbob, May 18, 2010.

1. generalbob

generalbob New Member

I saw that other people were getting shocked from their ipods - i guess this is the reverse situation. I am not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but I accidentally sat the back metal part of my ipod onto an unshielded live sub woofer wire. This basically electrified the case with 50 to 100 watts of power. For some reason this instantly fried the internal speaker and messed up the audio, but everything else works just fine. The audio does not adjust correctly - when you turn it down to zero it is still playing at about half because it stops decreasing the volume halfway down on the slider. It seems to me like the internal components should not have been connected to the back in any way so I don't see how this happened. Anybody know why the audio only goes from half to full volume?
  2. Maki2012

Maki2012 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It probably just screwed up some speaker hardware (you are very very lucky nothing else got harmed or you iDev just got 100% fried). You may have lost some volume range or something, it [software] now registers 50% volume as 0% volume. You can try a restore, but I doubt it will work.
  3. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    usually everything is connected to the back - you're rather lucky that nothing worse happened...
    the ground in the ipod touch (GND) is connected to the metal casing to have a "ground"...
    maybe that your battery also got damaged so well..seems like physical damage^^
    but try a restore - might help but I doubt it
  4. generalbob

generalbob New Member

Ya the first thing I did was a restore which did nothing.