Educational Applications - ideas from a teacher.

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by craynerd, Dec 30, 2008.

1. craynerd

craynerd New Member

Hi

I`m a teacher of science (Chemistry at higher level) and have a few ideas for apps. I have no skills with SDK but some experience with technology and obviously education. I have always owned ipods for years and recently purchased a touch. I know a large number of my students own one and it would be great to have an application to link from my website - you`d be sure to get a good few downloads from that alone.

I have a few ideas - please contact me if interested or if you have any suggestions for educational apps, I`d be happy to help and advise:

1. Electron Configuration App - In A level Chemistry, students have to remember the s,p,d,f configuration of electrons. I spent hours with a student producing a flash animation that ultimately IS the application. Can any of you simply convert the interactive flash animation into an application? Basically it was designed for an interactive white board, you spin your finger around the "oribits" and the electrons appear in correct order of filling. It would work wonderfully with the ipods touch screen!!

2. Simple/Easy Timetable - very simple app and I know there are already a few organizer/timetables available but they are all aimed at college or university and based around times of the day. All UK schools (or the majority) run a 5 period day, I would love to see a timetable very simply, Mon - Fri with period 1-5 for each day: Subject, Teacher, Room. The biggest thing myself (and the kids) want, would be an app that once setup you can simply click the app and up pops a full week display of your timetable. I know it would fit on the screen because I have saved my excel made timetable as a jpeg and shrunk it onto the screen and you can see it all perfectly.
    I have templates and more details - let me know.

3. Longer Term project - but I have a number of interactive activities for learning specific topics. It would be interesting to put together an interactive revision guide on say "Rocks & the Rock Cycle", "Atoms, Elements, Compounds and Mixtures" or even aimed at a higher level for A level Chemistry! I can ensure you that EVERY student with a touch would purchase these applications should they be available.

Just a reminder that the schools in my area, including my own, have bought in a number of ipod touches for staff (unfortunately not me, I had to buy my own!!). It is likely that this will extend in the future and I know that good educational applications will be in demand!

Anyone interested, let me know!
  2. fyvel

fyvel Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well for the app that go to your website... just click the plus button in safari... and then hit add to springboard....
  3. bimple

bimple New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you want to make a custom icon for your website that will show up on the springboard when a user makes a "webclip", using their iPhone or iPod Touch:

1. Create a 57x57 PNG.
    2. Name it "apple-touch-icon.png"
    3. Upload it to the public html root folder of your website (not the root of your server, the root of your web documents).

Now whenever someone adds a webclip for yoursite.com, they'll see your custom icon on their springboard.
  4. craynerd

craynerd New Member

I`ve got touch 2g so no springboard!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Anyone interested in undertaking the challange of creating any of the apps. I am really interested in my 1st suggestion as the flash animation is already made and is literally the application already. It just need making into an app - is that possible?
  5. bimple

bimple New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    the springboard is the desktop that is included in the iPod or iPhone - you are thinking of winterboard. Every Touch or iPhone has a springboard - jailbroken or not.
  6. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Thanks for this, I appreciate it.
  7. craynerd

craynerd New Member

Ahh sorry! Yes was thinking of winterboard. Thanks friend. That is interesting!!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Just realised that due to the incompatibility of flash and ipod, this would need to be re-written! Pitty it can`t be converted but it would make an excellent application and is very simple if anyone is interested. There is certainly nothing like it currently on app store and would be sure to get a fair amount of downloads from Chemistry students.