[Editorial] The Quality of APT Packages for the iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by spoonforknife, Jan 3, 2010.

1. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Many lauded the inception of the Cydia Store as a bright new era in the world of jailbreaking, giving developers incentive to have riskier ideas and produce inventive, higher quality applications. We've seen some of this, with inventive SpringBoard extensions like Orbit, PogoPlank, and OverBoard popping up right and left. More and more developers have begun charging for their applications, most notably ZodTTD, who has produced remarkable pieces of work like n64iphone, where others have failed.

However, despite this much publicized advancement, jailbroken package managers (Cydia, Rock, Icy, etc.) are still unpleasant to scroll through. When people respond to Chronic Dev's disappointment on piracy with things like, "What did u think ppl used it for? Crappy themes that sucks the life out of the battery? Hahaha," it frankly pisses me off because it's true.

Most of the themes are clip art based copy and paste jobs and a far cry from a year or two ago. There are still nice themes floating around on places like MacThemes, BlackCursor, and Macristocracy, but the sad truth is most jailbreakers don't know the difference between SFTP and Windows Explorer.

Many of the applications are extremely low quality tab bar webviews, pioneered by AppStoreMod, who somehow seems proud of this horrendous accomplishment. For those that are somehow not familiar with these applications, they are usually 3-5 tabs with a browser instance in each tab, leading to their free wordpress blog, twitter page, and YouTube channel. There you can see advertisements for teeth whitening, Lockerz invite spam, plagiarized news, "programming tutorials," and badly constructed video reviews.

Others have sunk to even farther depths, throwing out slightly modified stolen source code or code samples and releasing them with AdMob advertisements to give the developer revenue off of someone else's hard work. Most recently we have seen AppStoreMod release EmojiEnabler, which seems remarkably similar to kballard's source code. On closer inspection with a hex editor, the method names are the same and all he's done is change the background and add an advertisement. Perennial offender Anthony Geranio released Spheres, which is virtually identical to NWorksDev's Roller Baller (on the App Store), and even has the same binary name. Coincidence? I think not.

iPod touch Fans member David Justice (BigDaveyJ) has also noticed a considerable decline in the quality in the content of packages noting on his twitter feed, "does anyone know the sh*t to not sh*t on cydia ratio? it has to be like 3383838/1." While amusing, it's sadly true. Justice also proposes some kind of quality standard for the big community sources like BigBoss so there aren't as many fart, soundboard, and tab-bar/webview applications.

What's your take on this issue?

The above editorial does not necessarily reflect the view of iPod touch Fans, Vigorous Media LLC, or iPod touch Fans staff members.
  2. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i think that for the big repo's (ModMyi, Bigboss...) there should be people who check the themes before they go on, if you want to add an extra repo then you have to expect crap themes but i think that the bigger repos should only host quality work. As for the apps i think that there should also be checking on those, we do not want, or need, ten apps that do nothing.
  3. Captain*

Captain* Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    The amount of sh*t on Cydia is unbelievable, somethings I generally used and/or want but even themes I make myself now. Apple if they add a LOT of functions into 4.0 could really write off Cydia, but that would never happen.
  4. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Great read. Also very true, Cydia has been declining for a while now. I mostly think from a lack on Saurik's part. Aldo, you also need to blame the head of the repositories. They should control what they put on there repos. I think someone needs to stepup and take charge, or cydia, will go to sh*t.
  5. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    I think ModMyi does check the themes... my 2.nd theme that I now agree was pretty bad never got released (I'm actually happy of that now!).

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Amen. I go into Cydia to find packages that will enhance my device, not to be flooded with Borat soundboards and thousands of sh*tty Windows themes. BigBoss and ModMyi would do well to implement some sort of quality control.
  8. Reaper2794

Reaper2794 Banned

They just add sh*t on there without even checking what they are.

Every time I wait for Cydia to load (which takes forever) I go to the changes section and it's all sh*t for iPhone or some gay 1 page lockscreen thing.

The ADS are so annoying. I have to go through 20 pages just to a screenshot of what I'm getting and the screenshots aren't even there half the time! Plus that takes even MORE time to load.

Cydia is so unorganized. There's spam everywhere. It takes FOREVER. The ONLY reason I use it is cause it's the only stable one. I boot the program and I get failed to fetch this and failed to fetch that. Errors everywhere, ads everywhere just a load of sh*t.

I can't even rage about all the wrong things about Cydia
  9. klex269

klex269 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    the truth

the truth of the matter is a year ago when i first tethered jailbreak my ipod touch 2g i usto be able to just scroll through cydia and not have so much sh*t and copy work. know i have to actually know what to look for. i feel bad for the theme makers who may have an amazing theme out but are getting no publicity becuase their theme is getting blocked by garbage themes. also know many themes on cydia are just "mixed" themes. taking a background from here icons from their sounds from ect and so on.
  10. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    would anbody use any of these?

Air Horn (BigBoss)
    Am i Rich (BigBoss)
    Bluetooth toy (BigBoss)
    CompassF (BigBoss)

need i go on...