EDITORIAL: The illusion of "free speech"

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by bgizzle, Mar 12, 2009.

1. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Another controversial decision, another wave of whining. Even ignoring the fact that I was right, the reaction by some members was particularly revolting. The usual WW2-era leader comparisons seem to have run their course, but it seems that a common misconception continues: the illusion of a "right" to free speech on this website.

A member managed to succinctly sum up the idea I'm trying to convey, so instead of writing it up myself, I'll quote him (emphasis added):
    The confusion seems to stem from the fact that many people unfortunately lack a nuanced understanding of what freedom means. Because this website is a private space, akin to a private home or store, I have the freedom to eject people from it for almost any reason I see necessary. Private property rights are as fundamental of a freedom as free speech in public spaces (which this website is NOT), so if you are truly interested in freedoms, respect mine by respecting the rules of this private website that gives you the privilege to contribute.
  2. JoshuaCaputo

JoshuaCaputo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    • Immature or obscene comments
    Ugh,

Nice one, that is correct and if I say otherwise I will receive another infraction?

Im not sure what I did but I guess I will go back on topic to avoid that :/

Although you may not like what he has done, he is 150% entitled to do whatever he wants here. He (or vigorous media) owns this space, therefor the own the right to do whatever they want.

Along with freedom of speech, anyone has the right to remove anyone from their property and this website technically is their (virtual) property.

I could go on but he said it best.

On a side note. Not that it matters to anyone but after what just happened
    (I was given a infraction for agreeing with the boss) I will be leaving this forum until this changes. My worse fear on this forum was to be directly given an infraction from an admin and I just received one. To avoid any more, Im out. Goodbye.

(unless I don't recieve an inftraction for this post I will most likely stay on this thread though (until its closed when he gets angry.))
  3. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Nice job changing your post to make me look bad for giving you an infraction. Unfortunately for you, we keep logs of changes so I will repost the original to show people why you got an infraction

That was the text of the original post and it should be clear to everyone why that would warrant a WARNING for "immature or obscene comments" (the post is rare in that includes both immature AND obscene comments, all in one!). Nice try though. Thanks for practically proving my point.
  4. tat.zizzy

tat.zizzy Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Good writeup bgizzle. People should understand that it is bgizzle's property that we come on evry day and talk to each other. He let's us speak here and has an ultimate voice in whatever concerns him.
    It's just like someone borrows ur iPod touch and claims the right to spit on it or throw it on the ground.
    Understand this people- this is bgizzle's property!! We are just visitors here looking for a good interaction. He may ban or take nessesary steps against anyone he wishes to. There is no right that anyone has as this is his property.
    Note: please ignore the typing errors. I'm right now on my iPod. Peace!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Edit- justread the previous post by bgizzle about the editing done to the infracted post and I must say

HE GOT BGIZZLED!!

5. Chrisschulz

Chrisschulz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    About time we adressed this, good post
  6. Wrathchild

Wrathchild Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Don't anger the God. Watch what you say. He's watching us.
  7. AvodCS

AvodCS Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  8. allenmehrer

allenmehrer Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    While I haven't read all the posts concerning free speech, many of which I'm sure were ridiculous, this is still a violation against them. The only difference now is that you've made it clear, especially to those who believed they can exercise it anywhere, that this is a private forum and that they In fact due not have the right to free speech. This leaves them with three courses of actions: they could stay and fight this battle until booted, leave to another forum where they can exercise the right to to talk about what ever they choose, yes even paid jailbreaks, or they can shut up, stay under the radar and continue to enjoy the services which this private forum brings.

And while I don't agree with the recent addition of bizarre forum restrictions, It is a clearly legal action and does not violate free speech laws even though it does restrict the act of free speech itself.
  9. 92r100r

92r100r New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Sometimes, nothing is more irritating to hear/read people complaining about their "rights being violated", when they have no idea what the hell they're talking about, what those rights entail, and where they begin or end. And (surprise of surprises) they're usually teenagers, which I'm guessing is 80% or more of the demographic of this forum. MTV is not really a good source of information, kids.

The bill of rights recognizes (not grants) certain rights, including free speech, freedom to exercise a religion, the right to keep and bear arms, ALL for the purpose of being a check against the government.

IT LIMITS THE ACTIONS AND AUTHORITY OF THE GOVERNMENT(S).

It does not limit the ability of private property owners to limit the actions performed on/in their property. For example, I really don't like communists. If a communist wants to come into my front yard and start blabbering about his love for Marxism, I have every right to kick him off my property. This would be a very scary place if you didn't have that basic right. YOUR RIGHTS END WHERE MINE BEGIN, and vice versa.

This website is privately owned, and you don't have a 'right' to post whatever you want here. You DO have the right and ability to create your own website where you call the shots.

Instead of being whiney little brats about it, try learning more about your rights and what they really mean. Because they have nothing to do with a website owner filtering content he deems inappropriate.

Not that I really care about the apparent rift between some of you. But it IS important that you understand who (or what) you should REALLY be protecting your rights from. (Hint: it rhymes with 'a government overstepping its bounds and acting outside of its authority.'

10. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't know why people whined about this, but I also don't know why you made this thread. Things like this are bound to happen.

*shrugs shoulder*