Editor w/ Snytax highlighting n' formatting?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by EyesOfARaven, Nov 21, 2007.

1. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

We've got PHP, Perl, Ruby, and Python (I primarily use Python here). However, our text editor isn't terribly useful for them (don't get me wrong, I deeply appreciate the need for a simplistic text editor for other things). I'd like to use my iPod to do Python/CGI development on the go. I accept that it won't ever get a port of Photoshop, lol, but otherwise it's got everything I need to make a website except a good text editor. You see, while syntax highlighting is good, my main concern is formatting support. Python is the only language where whitespace is syntax. If you don't tab a line, your script will fail. Our text editor has no support for tabulation, and if it does, it doesn't display it on-screen (I opened a python script and saw everything aligned purely left, no tabs [and they were definitely there]). I'd really appreciate if somebody could get something like notepad2 on here that'd support formatting and (though less mandatory for my needs, useful) syntax highlighting. I'd do it myself, but I've never even programmed for a Mac before much less a scaled down one. I plan to learn, but not quite yet. (However I've got nice themes and whatnot almost ready to release)

Edit:
    Oh and by the way, the keyboard cannot rotate in the current text editor, and I think that it would make an awesome edition to have screen rotation and/or just the option for a horizontal view (even if not accellerometer controlled), because the keyboard is much larger and not only easier to use, but could be modified to hold useful things specifically for programming, like parenthesis, numbers, lessthan/greaterthan, etc., all on one keyboard screen.
  2. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

Shameless bump: come on people, I've just posted the amount of a 4 page essay to help others here, the least you could do is comment or say "yeah that'd be nice"...
  3. Applefan69

Applefan69 New Member

yah that'd be nice, very nice.

I was trying to work on coding some php today (after getting apache, and php running)

WELL, for starters, it doesn't seem to let me change the extension to say "index.php" which anoyed me, it just made it "index.php.txt" which as any coder will know, won't work

ANOTHER issue, is the apache server to read the file it needs to be in
    /library/webserver/documents/
    textedit NEEDS I mean NEEDS a file browser so it's easier to find that directory, I've memorized the directory myself because i was desperate, but it's still annoying having to type that directory up (and praying i don't make a mistake) every time i wanna save a file.
  4. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

Not to mention you can't even get to that directory from finder, only from squid or the terminal... That's part of the reason I'm using lighttpd (aside from the fact that it's CGI modules all work from installation). If this doesn't show up soon I'll try to learn how to make one myself, but that'll be slow.
  5. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

*bump*

I'm hoping someone will see this who's currently got the knowledge-base to program it, I'm sure far more people would appreciate it than seem to have found and perused my thread :/

If nobody wants to do it, then I'll be learning Cocoa starting either tonight or Sunday, and it'll be my first iPoT-related project..
  6. jholland

jholland New Member

Just an FYI - Python standards are to use 4 spaces to indent a line, and not a tab.
  7. killer54291

killer54291 New Member

BUMP
    Also, i would like to ask, what is the editor you're talking about in the original post?