Editing 1.1.3 keyboard skins (photoshop elements)

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by bones237, Mar 29, 2008.

1. bones237

bones237 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I know that the capability to edit keyboard skins on 1.1.3/4 is new but i was wondering if anybody is having the same issues that i am having:

i'm using photoshop elements 6 and doing the actual keyboard skin is fine, i'm having no trouble with that, it's when i try to edit the little tab that pops up when u touch a number or letter. I'm able to mess with it, i save it as "save for web" "png-24" and everything seems fine. i then import the pngs thru iphoneshop, ssh in and dump the keyboard-latin.artwork in the UIKit.frameworks folder. here's my problem: when i go into my itouch to see the changes, the little tab is how i changed it but now there is this white outline around the image. i have made sure the background is transparent and everything else i can think of but can not get this white outline to go away the way i'm saving it.

now after awhile i realized that if i saved the image as a png-8 with a custom preset instead of a png-24, the white background would be gone BUT the image was not as smooth on the edges as the image that was saved as a png-24.

has anyone come across this yet????
    has anyone tried to edit the little tabs on the keyboard of 1.1.3/4????

look at the pics if you not sure what i mean when i say "little tab":

this is when saved as png-24: image is nice and smooth but white outline

Please Register or Log in to view images

this is when saved as png-8: white outline gone but now image not as clean and smooth

any help would be appreciated>
    i have been able to change skin on all the different keyboards, now i just need to do these little characters,tabs and what not

SO CLOSE BUT YET SO FAR!!!!!!!!

2. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    still havent done the space bar, and im guessing return too
  3. rosario1187

rosario1187 New Member

bro, i HAVE THE SAME ISSUE, I THOUGHT I WAS DOING SOMETHING WRONG...i been working on this since yesterday with no improvements, so i have no clue what to do...i managed to get all the buttons though..

Attached Files:

4. bones237

bones237 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    yeah sorry, i guess i should have posted this earlier cuz i solved this issue a few hours after i started thread. (i forgot)

the reason this is happening has nothing to do with itouch itself (such as wrong fw, corrupt file,etc...). it is how you edit and save image in photoshop.
    like i said in first post if you save as png-24 you get that outline but as png-8 outline goes away but image is crappy.
    well, if you look at pic in my first post of light green keyboard you'll see that little black under-shadow that goes around the tab. this shadow is what screws the image up when saved as png-8.
    what i did was erase that shadow and applied my own style to the tab. then when i saved as png-8, the tab looked just as good as when saved as png-24 but now with no white outline.

it actually was a pretty simple fix. i don't know if there is a way to do it as a png-24 without the outline but i think it actually came out good.

look later today cuz i will be releasing it on the theme release forum. i did one that will go good with tyro's red and black other.artwork theme. it's a complete keyboard set.