edit truphone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by tylobedo, Aug 30, 2008.

1. tylobedo

tylobedo Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    so would it be possible, to make the whole 2.0 voip scene easier to just get truphone (free from appstore) and make a mod for it so you can use other voip companies?

just an idea.
  2. spencercal

spencercal New Member

It would take quite the modification seeing that you cant even download the app to the iPod Touch yet...at least until Apple approves it or something. for now it just says that its not compatible with the Touch. I tried since i just got a touch 2g to replace my 1g
  3. Rockblock

Rockblock New Member

Is this something new going on with the ipod touch because I just had Truphone installed on my iPod Touch and it worked fine until I restored. I used it to call my girlfriends cellphone as a proof of concept to show her how it would work.

Then, I had to restore my iPod Touch and now this app will NOT reinstall. Keeps saying its not compatible.

This app would be great for making calls from airports etc or from other countries where it would cost a fortune to call home on a land line or a cellphone.

Looks like someones going to need to crack it. It's a free app anyway so I don't think the makers will care.

Actually the makers might concider doing it themselves because the fact that it no longer works with iPod Touch units just cut out all the people who want this because they do NOT have an iPhone but an iPod Touch and something like the touch mic.
  4. otetsiona

otetsiona New Member

iTunes 8.0 is probably the prob...

Rockblock,

I had a similar problem to yours... I had Truphone installed on my iPoT 1G before upgrading to the new iTunes (8.0) - Genius is right

Please Register or Log in to view images

. I also upgraded to the new iPoT (i.e. 2G) and thought there was a possibility that Truphone would magically start working (i got an error on the 1G Touch indicating non-compatibility). Instead, I got an error when trying to sync my new Touch with the 1G profile... iTunes said it can't transfer the app.

IMO, this is rather silly as it probably wouldn't be all that hard to get the same Truphone version to work on the iPoT 2G since it now has the mic input (which I have used successfully on several other applications). Likewise, there are plenty of earbud/mic combos out there that work right now (e.g. TuneBuds Mobile from Griffin... I kinda like them).

Truphone: update your compatibility listings and remove your device recognition / blocking routine and this might just work.

Of course, I'd rather see Skype anyway...
  5. iBiite iChu

iBiite iChu Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    It would be quite hard to modify it and probably eaasier to make a new application.

It is very, very possible to use Truphone on the touch, I have made many calls and modded it to be free. I would only like to change the service to somethong except for the fact that it costs money to call people. I have a Vonage account and I am already paying for it so why not use it on my ipod as well!

Any way, I would like some help if you have any idea how to code, I can barely do a little JavaScript and I am insanely good at using common sence to find out...

Good luck though!
    OMEGA!#&
  6. Rockblock

Rockblock New Member

Well, I already HAD TruPhone on my ipod touch and it worked fine until recently. Actually, it stopped installing for me BEFORE iTunes 8.0 was out.

I'd be very interested in knowing how you got it on your ipod touch.
  7. bliggyman

bliggyman New Member

To install Truphone on a 1G Ipod Touch.
    Download transformer from cydia.
    Open transformer, tap do it all.
    Respring, and open App Store.
    Search for Truphone.
    Simply tap install and you have truphone on your 1G Ipod Touch.

Please Register or Log in to view images

You can also download an app called fring without moddifying anything on an ipod touch or iphone free. You can use selected Sip servers on that, including Skype.
  8. eragon3196

eragon3196 New Member

Solution

kk to get the truphone on touch isnt that hard, i was pondering it also just 5 mins ago, all u have to do is get itunes 7.7 instead of 8 cuz 8 is sooo stupid, apple thinks they're so awesome with their stupid new progs just download itunes 7.7 and than sync truphone to that
  9. thewelsh1

thewelsh1 New Member

Truphone now OFFICIAL on the **ipod touch! http://148apps.com/app/294325816 Very cool!!