edit springboard strings on 2.0?

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by shuft95, Sep 30, 2008.

1. shuft95

shuft95 Member

is there a way to edit the words on where it says slide to unlock? i know we could do it with 1.1.x but is there anything we can edit manually or what? thanks
  2. rileyman

rileyman Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yea with customize 2.0 , it edits the strings but it is still very unstable
  3. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    You can do it easy with Customize. Or do you want to do it manually only ?
  4. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    use customize string editor
  5. shuft95

shuft95 Member

i would like to do it manually, cuz im using winterboard and cant have both, but now i have a problem, if u guys have aim or something can u tell me it becuase i need you to upload to me your System/library/Coreservices/English.lproj/ Springboard.strings becuase i went to that directory opeed in textedit
    pressed commandf and serarched slide to unlock, then changed unlock to rock, saved sshed bak and now my slude to unlock think saysAWAY_LOCK...and the enter passcde says ENTER_PASSCODE
    and the emergenc call is EMERGENCY_CALL_TITLE
  6. Chaanakya

Chaanakya New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    How to change SpringBoard strings

Easy! I just figured this out. If you don't understand something of what I say next, please ask, as this is potentially dangerous.
    What you need:
    iPod Touch (preferably running 2.2)
    WinSCP or another SSH client
    MobileTerminal and Erica's Utilities (installed through Cydia)

1. Go into /Library/Themes/name of theme you have activated/Bundles/com.apple.springboard.
    2. Create a new directory there named en.lproj if there already isn't one.
    3. Copy the original SpringBoard.strings from /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj into this newly created directory.
    4. Go into MobileTerminal and enter in "plutil -c xml1 SpringBoard.strings" without the quotes.
    5. SSH in using WinSCP or whatever you use for a mac, and go into the directory you created.
    6. If you are using WinSCP, just double click the SpringBoard.strings file you copied. On a mac, just get the file to open for editing.
    7. Figure out what all you want to customize and DELETE THE REST OF THE KEYS! If you want to add more keys later, just look them up in the original SpringBoard.strings file.
    8. Edit the strings below the keys. DO NOT EDIT THE KEYS THEMSELVES!!!!!!!
    8. Respring and you should be good to go

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Or if you want something less dangerous, use WinterBoard and create a Theme with the Strings file in it under /Themename/Bundles/com.apple.springboard/En.lproj/SpringBoard.strings and then save your edited Strings folder in there.
  8. Chaanakya

Chaanakya New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just wondering

Just wondering... isn't that the same thing?
  9. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

No. One has you going into the system files and, if you screw up, needs you to restore the iPod. The other merely has a file with the same name in a Themes folder somewhere that WinterBoard applies (if you turn the theme on) which changes the string without any messing around with the system files as in the procedure listed by shuft95.

Although if anyone wants a premade Strings theme, may I suggest the one in the "Remove 'Slide to Unlock' text in WinterBoard' thread that was started by Danls92?