ebooks : how to get/create new books

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by eddy1103, Oct 19, 2007.

1. eddy1103

eddy1103 New Member

Hello,

My first message on this board

Please Register or Log in to view images

So, here is my question. I have installed the "ebooks" application, and 2 books which can be find in the installer.
    That's ok, but now, how can i get new ones, if they're not in the installer ?
    What the format file needed ? (i've found some free ebooks on websites, in PDF format, and i assume it may exist in html too)
    Is it possible to add them "manually" ? Via cyberduck for example ?

Thanks for your help

Eddy

PS : For the moment, I can already read PDF files with the Apache method anyway. And like someone said on this forum, this method has the advantage to let you read in landscape way

But I'm still curious of how to best use eBook, which have another advantage, it remembers the page you were reading last time you opened a book !
  2. RedRoo

RedRoo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'd like to know that too!!
    I tried placing html file under ebooks folder, but it doesnt look right when i open it - breaks words in wrong places. So clearly they should be formatted differently.
    And i think it was me talking about landscape advantage when using Apache method. So far i cant think of any alternative, even though its a pain not having a bookmark option..
  3. lecudas

lecudas New Member

The eBook reader can actually read .pdb files pretty well (Palm documents). If you head over to www.memoware.com you will find hundreds of free books that you just copy to the media/EBooks folder on your iPod.

Can't wait for .lit support - but I guess Microsoft would have a cow!

4. eddy1103

eddy1103 New Member

Why does it says "Got unknown PDB magic of PNRdPPrs" when I add a PDB file and tried to open it with ebooks ?
    And what about "Got unknown PDB magic of vIMGView" ?

Anyway, I've noticed that the books i've installed with the installer are in a folder which contains html files, one for each chapter I guess. Plus an image file named "cover.jpg", used to get an image on ebooks application in the list of books presented. And a folder named "image" used to contain the different images illustrating the book.
    So, knowing that, it may not be too difficult to create a book with a little cover

lecudas > Do you have some example of books in PDB that works coorectly ? I wold like to try one

EDIT : It seems to be a fileformat problem. The first error message i get appears with "PalmReader" format.
    The same book in "Plucker" format looks ok, even if it appears to begin with the end.
    iSilo3 format gave --> "Got unknown PDB magic of SDocSilX"
    Doc format --> Style problem... no paragraph.
  5. Metaphor

Metaphor New Member

OK I am an avid ebook reader (read most on my Nokia E61 using Mobipocket) but now I have the touch the ebook reader is taking over! One thing to note is that the ebook reader is in its early stages but frankly could be a killer app for the ipod touch and iPhone.

If your on a Mac and want to create files in the .pdb format from and source (just copy the text and paste it into quick convert) check out http://www.loghound.com/pordible/

Been using it for ages and its fantastic!!!
  6. eddy1103

eddy1103 New Member

PorDiBle looks great.
    When I convert a text file (even simple), i get a PDB file. But, when i open it on my iPod with EBooks, it appears like a simple text without any paragraph organisation..
    Actually, when I open a PDB file with Pordible to view it, it's appearance is ok. The problem is when I open it on the iPod...

Maybe ebook reader is just not completely ready as you explain it. I'll keep it on my iPod (I'm still reading Sherlock Holmes, which was in the installer

), hoping it will be upgrade soon !!
  7. Metaphor

Metaphor New Member

No one else said welcome Eddy so I will (I should of straight off!)

The ebook reader so far does a great job. But its open source and yes in its early days.

Pordible does a fantastic job and again is free with the source openly available, and I am glad you like it. When I found it a while back it blew me away for what it could do.

I am sure as more people see the opportunities for the iPod Touch and iPhone as a reader the applications will evolve.

Just a shame (as usual) there are so many different formats for ebooks. The microsoft .lit format is not very friendly so I would go for books that are not in that format.