eBay cables, docks & wall charger reliable?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Amps, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Amps

Amps Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Hey guys,

I've been questioning this for quite long by now. I've done some research on this forum but couldn't really find a concrete answer.

It's about cheap eBay dock connectors, wall chargers & 30pin-to-USB cables (all of a value of around 5 USD). Are these kind of items reliable? I wouldn't really dare with the wall chargers, as I've heard many stories of the plug getting fried etc.

But how about the 30pin-to-USB cables? As they don't transfer that much current, are they reliable to use? (For example this cheapo one)

Also how about those dock chargers like this one? Will that do any harm in combination with a genuine Apple 30pin-to-USB cable?

What are your experiences with these kind of knock-off items? I'm planning to buy a certified wall charger adapter (to female USB), but wouldn't be wanting to spend 50+ USD for a universal dock connector by Apple.

So any thoughts on these or answer to the questions?
  2. lilgangsta9305

lilgangsta9305 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Shouldn't do any damage to your iPod, but i wouldn't trust a wall charger. But for 5 dollars you really got nothing to loose.

On a side note stop being a *****rdly person and buy a geniune wall charger. That is if you have the money.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Wall charger is better than a dock if you have more devices that can use it.
  4. Amps

Amps Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    I will buy a genuine wall charger if I get an iPod Touch. I was more wondering about those other two items. 49 euro's for a universal dock doesn't cut it. I'd rather buy that 5 dollar charging dock if it worked fine without a chance damaging your iPod Touch in one way or other.

If anyone else uses a generic cheap dock or cable, please tell me your experience with them

Please Register or Log in to view images